Roof sealant questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof sealant questions

While washing the roof today, I noticed some peeling roof sealant. The pic shows the peeling sealant. The sealant is peeling where the roof meets rear cap over the garage door.
    It is a very thin sealant layer between the roof (on the left) and a piece of rubber tape (bright white on the right). It almost appears like the sealant was smoothed with a tool after it was applied. The seal runs the width of the coach.
    My manual says to use Alpha Systems 1010 non-sag sealant for the roof. My understanding is that non-sag is good for vertical surfaces where you do not want the sealant to slump.
    Alpha Systems makes a 1021 self-leveling sealant for horizontal surfaces (like flat surfaces that I am trying to repair).

I was thinking of using the 1021 self-leveling sealant over the failing sealant.
    Almost everything on the is sealed with self-leveling caulk, except this trouble spot.

Am I correctly thinking about the appropriate sealant?

Click image for larger version

Name:	peeling roof sealant.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	132972

2022 Momentum 381MS
    2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
    Reese Elite 27K Puck System
    Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Raven's Roost -- I use the self-leveling sealant on horizontal surfaces.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Whichever you decide make sure to remove all of the loose sealant. Where that is located it is hard to determine which to use. Self leveling may run a little bit towards the edges, and maybe over the edge. Non sag you could level out yourself.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson - This response makes me feel much better. Especially, coming from you! Thanks.
        2022 Momentum 381MS
        2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
        Reese Elite 27K Puck System
        Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Comment

Working...
        X