2019 2600RB Awning Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 2600RB Awning Problems

Having problems with the awning aligning properly when closing. I have to stop retracting prior to the rear arms aligning and manually adjust for proper alignment. Warranty Date is 20Jun18... I had this fixed under warranty in Sept 2018 at the Richmond location.

I'm also having problems with the awning support brace top screw stripping when extending and retracting.

Is this a common problem with this model?

Jeff Harris

Originally posted by jpharris View Post
    Having problems with the awning aligning properly when closing. I have to stop retracting prior to the rear arms aligning and manually adjust for proper alignment. Warranty Date is 20Jun18... I had this fixed under warranty in Sept 2018 at the Richmond location.

I'm also having problems with the awning support brace top screw stripping when extending and retracting.

Is this a common problem with this model?

Jeff Harris
    Jeff,
    First--welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture showing the screw you state is "stripping" when extending and extracting?

I also suggest give this thread, https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...t-from-rv-wall, a read and see if it addresses your concern.

(If I'm right, the first problem regarding alignment is a symptom caused by the second issue.)

-Howard

P.S. I am not a GD employee but want to help...
    Last edited by howson; 08-11-2019, 04:01 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard,

When I noticed it and tightened it down I knew it was stripped. When I retracted the awning it pulled out again. I was thinking of using an anchor kit, but not sure if it would be strong enough to hold.

Jeff

Comment

• Michael Broughton
        Michael Broughton commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, NOT long enough. Should be 1.25" or 1.5" sheet metal screw. I went to Lowe's and got one of each. So far the inch and a quarter seems to be working fine.

Originally posted by jpharris View Post
      Thanks Howard,

When I noticed it and tightened it down I knew it was stripped. When I retracted the awning it pulled out again. I was thinking of using an anchor kit, but not sure if it would be strong enough to hold.

Jeff
      Cate&Rob -- is this fixed with the molly rivet (or whatever it was called) discussed at length in the other thread? (Pic in post #3.)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Cate&Rob -- is this fixed with the molly rivet (or whatever it was called) discussed at length in the other thread? (Pic in post #3.)
        These?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The moly rivets shown in the link by Mark boyscout are used at the ends of the aluminum strip that fastens the awning fabric to the wall. I don’t think they would be large enough for the bracket fastener shown in the picture by Jeff jpharris. That larger screw should be going into an aluminum frame member. Once you figure out how/why the winding is overloading this attachment, a larger diameter fastener should work.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If I am seeing the picture correctly this is the center "cradle" support for the awning when in the retract position. Looking closely at the screw it looks to me to be too short in length. The outer layer of wall material is , I think , about 1/4" thick then the aluminum structure is about 1/8" (or less). Judging from the thickness of the bracket I would say that there is about 1/4" of good thread sticking out and the rest is the tapered point , the tapered part will not hold much. If you try to go to a larger diameter screw you may have to drill out the cradle bracket. Which ever you choose I would suggest a longer screw , 1" to 1-1/2" , hopefully that may get a better bite on the wall structure material.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I recall folks on a different social media site sharing this same issue but I do not recall the resolutions and possible the whys it is happening nor what owners/others need to be doing to prevent it from occurring in the first place (if anything.)

Possibly Emily GDRV-Emily at GDRV can share some feedback.

Dan
              Last edited by Canyonlight; 08-14-2019, 02:09 PM.
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                I recall folks on a different social media site sharing this same issue but I do not recall the resolutions and possible whys it is happening nor what owners/others need to be doing to prevent it from occurring in the first place (if anything.)

Possibly Emily GDRV-Emily at GDRV can share some feedback.

Dan
                Thanks for the tag! I actually do not recall a fix... but maybe I can reach out to someone to see what they are doing in service... or if they changed anything in production.

Thanks, and I will get back to you asap!

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I agree with the comment that the top screw looks too short. That screw would not reach any aluminum bracing behind the fiberglass. Also, when I had an RV with a long awning that required the center support, if the support is mounted too high (even a little bit), it will stress the top screw when you deploy the awning. I would download the installation manual for your awning (from the Carefree website) and make sure that support is mounted to spec. =
                    2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Working...
                    X