Solitude Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude Insulation

Does anyone know the thickness and r Value of the fiberglass insulation that sits on the chloroplast in the underbelly. Mine needs to be replaced due to leaks
    Its a 2020 310gkr

GDRV-Megan

Could you please answer this owners question?

Thanks
    Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by gsmithrr View Post
      Does anyone know the thickness and r Value of the fiberglass insulation that sits on the chloroplast in the underbelly. Mine needs to be replaced due to leaks
      Its a 2020 310gkr
      We are currently using R-11 in the underbelly.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

We are currently using R-11 in the underbelly.
        R11 would translate to 5" of fiberglass batt insulation . . . unless Grand Design is using something with better insulation properties? (I don't think the OE insulation is that thick)

gsmithrr
        You might want to consider fitting closed cell rigid foam insulation panels. These do not absorb water. Insulation value is about R5 per inch. So, you would need two inches to reach approximately R11. The problem with batt insulation is that it is a big sponge that will have to be replaced every time there is a water leak into the underbelly.

I sheathed the underside of my Reflection with 1" rigid foam above the coroplast and foil . . . which is better than just the foil that was there before (towards the forward end only).

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	51324
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

R11 would translate to 5" of fiberglass batt insulation . . . unless Grand Design is using something with better insulation properties? (I don't think the OE insulation is that thick)

gsmithrr
          You might want to consider fitting closed cell rigid foam insulation panels. These do not absorb water. Insulation value is about R5 per inch. So, you would need two inches to reach approximately R11. The problem with batt insulation is that it is a big sponge that will have to be replaced every time there is a water leak into the underbelly.

I sheathed the underside of my Reflection with 1" rigid foam above the coroplast and foil . . . which is better than just the foil that was there before (towards the forward end only).

Rob

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	51324
          Hey Rob,
          Did you do a write up on your insulation? I'm looking to do the same on my 310Gk this fall. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post

Hey Rob,
            Did you do a write up on your insulation? I'm looking to do the same on my 310Gk this fall. Thanks!
            The floor and underbelly insulation are very different on the Solitudes compared to the Reflections. Are you talking about replacing the fiberglass with closed cell foam? Here's what's under there now (scroll down):

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...e/construction

(Another) Rob

Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post

Hey Rob,
              I did not do a write-up specifically on adding the sheets of rigid foam insulation. This came along as a "side project" when closing up the underbelly after installing the plumbing access doors in the front and the second spare tire at the rear. In the first round (picture 1) I used zip ties to fasten the insulation to steel cross frames that I installed in the front part. When I got to the back of the trailer, I came up with a little more "sophisticated" retention scheme (pictures 2 & 3) which makes the insulation panels much easier to remove for service. I fabricated thin wall steel cross members that bolt to the frame rails and used stainless steel "twist tabs" riveted to these cross member to retain the sheets of insulation.

Rob

Name:	IMG_2672.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	59317Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	59318Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4709.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	59319
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice work Rob
                2018 337RLS
                720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                disc brakes, ems

Comment

I did not do a write-up specifically on adding the sheets of rigid foam insulation. This came along as a "side project" when closing up the underbelly after installing the plumbing access doors in the front and the second spare tire at the rear. In the first round (picture 1) I used zip ties to fasten the insulation to steel cross frames that I installed in the front part. When I got to the back of the trailer, I came up with a little more "sophisticated" retention scheme (pictures 2 & 3) which makes the insulation panels much easier to remove for service. I fabricated thin wall steel cross members that bolt to the frame rails and used stainless steel "twist tabs" riveted to these cross member to retain the sheets of insulation.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Going to add Sea Level tank gauges and want to do something better than that bat insulation. My underbelly looks like a beer belly! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

The floor and underbelly insulation are very different on the Solitudes compared to the Reflections. Are you talking about replacing the fiberglass with closed cell foam? Here's what's under there now (scroll down):

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...e/construction

(Another) Rob
                    The 2018 page has the same pictures. Wonder why it doesn't *feel* that well insulated. . .
                    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

The 2018 page has the same pictures. Wonder why it doesn't *feel* that well insulated. . .
                      We can tell a real difference from our previous Reflection. We wintered in northern Maryland at the top of the Chesapeake and had some stretches in the low teens with high winds. With the floor insulation and dual pane windows, the Solitude was much easier to keep warm than the Reflection was in the same place under the same conditions.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob

Rob,
                        I'm about to put some insulation on my Reflection 28BH. Is there a particular reason you only went with 1 inch foam. Was space an issue or was it just more economical with the thinner foam?
                        Thanks
                        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by abacon09 View Post

Rob,
                          I'm about to put some insulation on my Reflection 28BH. Is there a particular reason you only went with 1 inch foam. Was space an issue or was it just more economical with the thinner foam?
                          Thanks
                          Andrew
                          Hi Andrew,

I missed your question . . . I went with 1" foam insulation because of space restriction. Reflections do not have batt insulation on top of the coroplast like is done on Solitude, so there is limited space below the tanks.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X