Bumper bike rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper bike rack

2020 Imagine 2670MK, does anyone have experience putting a bike rack on the bumper? We have a Kuat bike rack for 2 bike. There is enough room to move the spare tire over and mount a bolt on receiver. Estimate rack and bike 100#, will that overload bumper?
    Last edited by RCriswell; 05-13-2021, 08:52 PM.

Yes. Bike racks and RV bumpers don’t mix. Even with a receiver you don’t want to use a standard bike rack. The motion on the back of a trailer will beat them to death. RV approved bike racks are heavy enough one person gets a workout mounting them.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      Yes. Bike racks and RV bumpers don’t mix. Even with a receiver you don’t want to use a standard bike rack. The motion on the back of a trailer will beat them to death. RV approved bike racks are heavy enough one person gets a workout mounting them.
      Just finished installing a Swagman Around the Spare 2 Bike Rack for RV Bumpers Item # S80501. Haven’t had any road time on it yet but it seems capable. II is supposedly RV approved, but I a not sure what that means. Time will tell.
      2021 Imagine 2600RB
      2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Diesel
      Hensley Hitch - eliminates sway!

Comment

RCriswell and Bwilkerson ,

Page 153 of the 2021 (Rev 1) Imagine Owner's Manual has this information:

Click image for larger version

Name:	153.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	53692

As stated by Jkwilson (and I agree)--not a good idea. It may work for a time, but given enough time (or weight) the bumper is likely to fail.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the information, we did read the above statement in the owner manual but we are looking for a workaround. We carried our bikes in the truck and the rack on the bumper folded up on our first trip so we could store our bikes once we got there. We didn't have any mishaps but could see how something could happen because of road conditions. Needless to say we are upgrading the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by RCriswell View Post
            Needless to say we are upgrading the suspension.
            If by "upgrading the suspension" you intend to install stronger springs, this will cause a rougher ride for the trailer and will transmit more bounce to the bike rack. Search "RV Bike Rack Failure" or similar to find many different pictures like the attached (not a Grand design product). The wall of the bumper tube is less than 1/16" thick. There is a reason for the Imagine Owners Manual caution quoted above.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear Bumper Failure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.2 KB ID:	53696
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am mounting this bracket Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts Heavy Duty RV Bumper Brackets TM and have a Swagman bike rack. I will still probably attach a rope to the rack and ladder just in case.
              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                RCriswell and Bwilkerson ,

Page 153 of the 2021 (Rev 1) Imagine Owner's Manual has this information:

Click image for larger version  Name:	153.JPG Views:	48 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	53692

As stated by Jkwilson (and I agree)--not a good idea. It may work for a time, but given enough time (or weight) the bumper is likely to fail.

Howard
                I had read all this in the manual before proceeding, but could find no other good option unless I wanted to put the bikes in the trailer while traveling. Hitch weight is not a concern with the solar mods I have done, which includes lithium batteries and an inverter in the front bay. It is not the best option but i will monitor for fatigue on the bumper and reinforce if necessary. Or I might learn the hard way!
                2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/ENIXWILL-Rein...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== For those bumpers that look questionable.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Bwilkerson

There is also a bike rack that mounts to the tongue of the trailer with the bikes above the propane tanks , this could be an alternative.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Bwilkerson

There is also a bike rack that mounts to the tongue of the trailer with the bikes above the propane tanks , this could be an alternative.

Brian
                      I considered that, but weightlifting bikes over my head didn’t appeal! Not to mention even more tongue weight, of which I have more than I need.
                      2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Originally posted by Bwilkerson View Post
                        I considered that, but weightlifting bikes over my head didn’t appeal! Not to mention even more tongue weight, of which I have more than I need.
                        At https://support.lci1.com/chassis-support-frames there's a link to Lippert's Frame Identification Tag Location Guide. The guide will show you how to identify the exact frame on your Imagine. Once you know that, give Lippert a call and ask if there's an OEM-approved way to remove the bumper and add a 2" hitch for a bike rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tag.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	53968
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                        X