2021 303rls awnings can over center and roll up incorrect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 303rls awnings can over center and roll up incorrect

Is this just how these new awnings work, I can extend the awning and it can continue then start rolling up incorrect. I now just watch and stop when the flap just starts to come out.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

There has never been a “limit switch” to stop the awning motor when the awning is fully extended. (I can see how accomplishing this would be technically difficult). If you keep your finger on the button, the awning will roll up backwards.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      There has never been a “limit switch” to stop the awning motor when the awning is fully extended. (I can see how accomplishing this would be technically difficult). If you keep your finger on the button, the awning will roll up backwards.

Rob
      It could be done with an encoder plus a controller that's similarly used for the Schwintek systems but this would add cost. The end point would need to be learned differently but is easy with software.

Jim

Comment

Now that I know this not to big of deal I just use my app on my phone while Im outside. I just wonder how many people are rolling there awning the wrong way and don't know it
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
          Now that I know this not to big of deal I just use my app on my phone while Im outside. I just wonder how many people are rolling there awning the wrong way and don't know it
          Dennis,

To be honest I did this one time. Then began to pay closer attention to the direction of the switch. It will not park properly when wound up backwards.

Jim

Comment

There have been several posts over the years of folks discovering this rolling up backwards scenario and a few doing so. I don't recall if it was just a certain manufacturer or across the board. I do not think our original Solera 6' awning did. I do not think our current 8' Dometic wil do this either. I will have to check. Got me curious now !

Dennis and Jim - what brand of awnings do you have ?

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight
              Hi Dan,

It would be a rather sophisticated revolution counter that would have to be zeroed and calibrated. I have not seen one with this capability.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                There have been several posts over the years of folks discovering this rolling up backwards scenario and a few doing so. I don't recall if it was just a certain manufacturer or across the board. I do not think our original Solera 6' awning did. I do not think our current 8' Dometic wil do this either. I will have to check. Got me curious now !

Dennis and Jim - what brand of awnings do you have ?

Dan
                Dan,
                We have a Solera at somewhere around 20'.

Adding an encoder would add cost. Its basically a wheel with evenly spaced teeth with a deliberate larger gap (missing tooth) to distinguish a full rotation. A hall effect sensor looks at rising or falling edges depending on how its programmed. A similar approach in how engines sync between cam and crank or for measuring instruments to look at precise engine position use this principal.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Dan,
                  We have a Solera at somewhere around 20'.

Adding an encoder would add cost. Its basically a wheel with evenly spaced teeth with a deliberate larger gap (missing tooth) to distinguish a full rotation. A hall effect sensor looks at rising or falling edges depending on how its programmed. A similar approach in how engines sync between cam and crank or for measuring instruments to look at precise engine position use this principal.

Jim
                  My apologies, Jim. Our awning is about 13' wide.....our original only extended 6' and GDRV sent me a new awning that extended 8'. In 2016 or 17 they changed to a much better coverage 8'. It also slants much more when fully extended for better coverage fir shade and water protection.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Canyonlight
                    Hi Dan,

It would be a rather sophisticated revolution counter that would have to be zeroed and calibrated. I have not seen one with this capability.

Rob
                    Thanks, Rob. I guess most folks just stop and release the button when fully or near fully extended as we do.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol

Comment

Im just curious, most of the time I'm using my app when rolling it out it may just be the app causing this Ill have to use the wall control next time see if its any different.
                      2021 Reflection 303RLS
                      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                      X