Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a Rusty Tongue

No...not a speech impediment.

Quick back story--some of the damage you'll see in the first picture is due to the tongue plate bending upwards due to my foolish attempts to lift the trailer with my truck (TV) connected. This was before I bought Strapteks for my Blue Ox weight-distribution hitch. Others don't seem to have an issue with the OEM Blue Ox chains, but I was always locked in mortal combat each time I connected (and disconnected) the chains thus I used the tongue jack in an attempt to make it easier by lifting the trailer and truck. Learn from my mistake: don't lift the trailer (or only lift a wee bit) with your TV connected!

But some of the rust coming through the paint can't be blamed on my WDH. So back to the point of this post (and thread).

Cleaned up the mess after removing the tongue jack (easy!) with a wire brush and the Corroseal system (cleaner and sealer). Final application was a top coat of black matte paint.

I've used Corroseal on multiple places on the frame and I'm very satisfied with the product.

Only side note was my concern over possibly losing the electrical return path back to the battery for the tongue jack since it uses the frame as the return path for 12vDC. Happily the jack worked just fine without any special precautions or effort. (I even cleaned up and used Corroseal on the jack bolts. I could have just replaced them...but a dab of Corroseal did the trick.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rust Cleanup 1.JPG Views:	52 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	58955

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rust Cleanup 2.JPG Views:	40 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	58957
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Rust Cleanup 3.JPG Views:	39 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	58956
    Point of this post is to motivate forum readers to check their frame on occasion and tackle that rust before it gets out of control!

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 06-28-2021, 12:53 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard I did check my rusty tongue and found that a little bit of fireball fixes it right up.

Jim

Comment

Nice, I've used Corroseal on the underside of my Silverado which was originally from Canada. Touched up the tongue on the 260RB too.

John
      John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
      ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
      2017 Jayco 26BH
      2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Moisture between the panels will most likely result in rust returning. You can install a gasket between the two to seal out moisture and prevent the two metal components from moving on one another. For this same reason, I'm concerned about the 2x2 channel that's welded to the bottom of my frame.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I've used Corroseal on multiple places on the frame and I'm very satisfied with the product.
          I've got a cargo trailer whose tongue has started rusting up. I'm assuming a quart of Corroseal will be enough to take care of the tongue and then some. The quart size is more than double the unit price of a gallon on Amazon, but I'm guessing if I got a gallon, it would still be sitting on the shelf 20 years from now.

Side note: How do you lubricate the jack gearing? Mine is squealing badly when I crank it, and I haven't been able to get any oil inside.

-Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I've got a cargo trailer whose tongue has started rusting up. I'm assuming a quart of Corroseal will be enough to take care of the tongue and then some. The quart size is more than double the unit price of a gallon on Amazon, but I'm guessing if I got a gallon, it would still be sitting on the shelf 20 years from now.

Side note: How do you lubricate the jack gearing? Mine is squealing badly when I crank it, and I haven't been able to get any oil inside.

-Steve
            Lots of info on the Stromberg in this thread, Steve: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/mainten...jack-leg-spins
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

My waxed over bare metal GM frame has become rusty this year and will need to buy the coroseal. I've also used Eastwoods rust converter with great success.

Love my GM truck but I wish they would paint then wax dip.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Howard I did check my rusty tongue and found that a little bit of fireball fixes it right up.

Jim
                Jim - now that's funny right there ! I think Ginnie TucsonGinnie would agree with your "medication" choice !

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I regularly treat rust on my trailer and truck. I use Rust-oleum Farm and Implement. However it would be nice to be able to treat it once and be done
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                    I regularly treat rust on my trailer and truck. I use Rust-oleum Farm and Implement. However it would be nice to be able to treat it once and be done
                    Keeping rust at bay is like cleaning the truck or cutting the grass--no matter how good of a job is done it will need to be done again eventually. :(

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      ...Learn from my mistake: don't lift the trailer (or only lift a wee bit) with your TV connected!
                      Howard
                      Any other tips or ideas for us without the Straptek system to make it easier to remove/connect our spring bars? I've been using the tongue jack to take off some pressure, but I would like to heed your warning
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                        Any other tips or ideas for us without the Straptek system to make it easier to remove/connect our spring bars? I've been using the tongue jack to take off some pressure, but I would like to heed your warning
                        The longest 1/2" drive socket wrench (with a head that pivots) that you can fit in your storage area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	socket wrench.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	59196

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                        X