Skylights leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylights leaking

We are camping and had water dripping from the skylight frames (2 of them). I removed the trim to expose the exterior shell and found numerous cracks. Inside and out with clear gorilla tape. I assume this is warrantied but I won't wait for approval from GD to have the dealer repair. We have trips planned. I store under an awning at home so no roof exposure there. What should I replace them with and will GD reimburse for the parts?
    Attached Files
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    We are camping and had water dripping from the skylight frames (2 of them). I removed the trim to expose the exterior shell and found numerous cracks. Inside and out with clear gorilla tape. I assume this is warrantied but I won't wait for approval from GD to have the dealer repair. We have trips planned. I store under an awning at home so no roof exposure there. What should I replace them with and will GD reimburse for the parts?
    See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...lection-337rls

GD may send you the parts...can't vouch for reimbursement. You'll have to call on Tuesday.

Another thread you may find of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

BillinTexas Bill, Go for the tinted one. Helps keep the heat down in the shower. Had dealer throw it in the deal when we bought the new one and it keeps the shower temps manageable during the day.

BTW the one they put on was OVER the existing clear one.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thank you both for the responses. Howard thanks for the links. Still leaking though I ran some self leveling sealant. Would it be a mistake to use some Eternabond tape around the bottom of these?
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Too wet to do anything above so cutting the trip short by a day and going home tomorrow.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
            Too wet to do anything above so cutting the trip short by a day and going home tomorrow.
            Bummer. Lots of rain here in NW Florida, too.

The actual replacement is quite easy (as Jim documented in his excellent thread). If you're into the DIY stuff, it won't take long at all to replace.

I'd be cautious where Eternabond is applied. There's a reason it's name was derived from the word "Eternal".
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Bummer. Lots of rain here in NW Florida, too.

The actual replacement is quite easy (as Jim documented in his excellent thread). If you're into the DIY stuff, it won't take long at all to replace.

I'd be cautious where Eternabond is applied. There's a reason it's name was derived from the word "Eternal".
              We are back home. Howard, I couldn't do anything really. Nothing would stick. There are cracks around the entire base at the radius. As mentioned, I store under an awning so no rain at home has affected the skylight. Our first real rain during a camping trip was this weekend. I wasn't going to stick the eternabond to the roof material and it wouldn't stick to the self leveling sealant around the light. I will likely get something better than what GD would send me but will make the call anyway. I will be looking at the link you posted as I will likely perform the repair myself. Thanks for your insight.
              Last edited by BillinTexas; 07-05-2021, 01:29 PM.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

Bill, one solution that we came up with for a similar situation was to (we used clear plastic as it was on hand) cover the entire area around the offending leak and then sit under that cover and do the work. We cleaned the area with paper towels, 70% alcohol, then patted the area down with denatured alcohol and used a hair dryer between steps. Then we kept the leak area warm with the hair dryer (about 55 ambient temp) and fixed the leak with Dicor and left the plastic in place for a couple of hours. Two days later (when rain stopped) it all looked okay on the roof and the ceiling dried up shortly after the repair.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                  Bill, one solution that we came up with for a similar situation was to (we used clear plastic as it was on hand) cover the entire area around the offending leak and then sit under that cover and do the work. We cleaned the area with paper towels, 70% alcohol, then patted the area down with denatured alcohol and used a hair dryer between steps. Then we kept the leak area warm with the hair dryer (about 55 ambient temp) and fixed the leak with Dicor and left the plastic in place for a couple of hours. Two days later (when rain stopped) it all looked okay on the roof and the ceiling dried up shortly after the repair.
                  Thanks, Jerry. It's back under cover at the moment and should be until the repair is complete.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X