376THS Too Low (Drags Back End)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 376THS Too Low (Drags Back End)?

Hi everyone, currently we have an Imagine trailer and looking into the Momentum 376THS, I love the floorplan but I have heard that it has an issue with the back being low and people damaging the back end would like to get feedback from owners of this design to make the decision as to buy it.

It can be an issue if one isn't careful. Having said that, a number of us have decided to be proactive and installed skid plates or rollers to protect the back end.
    Our choice was a skid plate.

https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/p/rear-skid-plate.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3947.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	179.7 KB ID:	69619
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Thank you for the info and link

Comment

I have a 2017 376TH. I wore the skid bars down quite a bit in the first year. My dealer installed 2 heavy duty rollers in their place, no problems since. But I am aware of the drag issue and I am careful about where/what I drag over. It is possible to catch the back cap and pull it off. So no dragging over big rocks. When I leave the RV park I am in today I will drag the back end, there is a sign at the park exit about low dip, exit at an angle. So the problem is not unique to the 376's.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Thanks, will check about ordering rollers

Comment

Originally posted by MLB View Post
            Hi everyone, currently we have an Imagine trailer and looking into the Momentum 376THS, I love the floorplan but I have heard that it has an issue with the back being low and people damaging the back end would like to get feedback from owners of this design to make the decision as to buy it.
            MLB -- Moving this thread to the Exterior channel and will change the title to "376THS Too Low (Drags Back End)?" so future readers can find your question (and the answers) easier.

Howard (Moderator)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

MLB -- hopefully you can find your thread here!
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I fabricated a plate, attached to the cross member 18" back, added another 2" HSS cross member at the rear, and then added two HDPE pads. Works a charm.
                Vertical load supported by the extra cross member, drag load goes back to the 2nd cross member and the pads prevent resistance on the road. All bolted connections, no welding. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211122_102734~2.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	70686 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211122_102725~2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	70687 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211111_145050~2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	70688 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211111_145106~2.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	70689
                2022 GD Momentum 376THS
                2020 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

We own a 2021 376THS have close to 10,000 miles on it so far.. I am particularly careful when entering and leaving any gas stations, or just about anything off the main road.. So far we haven't had any issues.
                  Sean & Kasey Hosmer
                  2021 376THS
                  2020 GMC 3500HD Denali Dually

Comment

Another solution to this might be to temporarily lift the trailer when crossing conditions that might cause the back end to drag. This could be done with air bags between the axles and frame. With a wireless onboard compressor, this could be accomplished with a remote control from the drivers seat, as is done with the Airlift Wireless One system.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello all!

Thanks for your feedback! We are always looking to better our products. I will take this info and pass it along to product and allow them to make a decision on if these suggestions are something we could possibly look into in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
                        Hello all!

Thanks for your feedback! We are always looking to better our products. I will take this info and pass it along to product and allow them to make a decision on if these suggestions are something we could possibly look into in the future.
                        Hey Megan, haven't seen too many of your posts recently. Probably because I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to. Thanks for participating.

Anyway, when you pass the idea on, please point out that we need sliders, not catchers. Something that will smoothly slide over a rock, a curb, or a piece of broken concrete. My original L shaped skid bars looked to be about 3/8 steel, I scraped through them in the first year. Others have caught the edge of the back panel on stuff and had it come loose.

The heavy duty rollers I had put on show definite use but have remained intact.
                        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Hey Megan, haven't seen too many of your posts recently. Probably because I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to. Thanks for participating.

Anyway, when you pass the idea on, please point out that we need sliders, not catchers. Something that will smoothly slide over a rock, a curb, or a piece of broken concrete. My original L shaped skid bars looked to be about 3/8 steel, I scraped through them in the first year. Others have caught the edge of the back panel on stuff and had it come loose.

The heavy duty rollers I had put on show definite use but have remained intact.
                          In BC Canada we have lots of ferry crossings and high angle ramps, example coming out of a gas station.
                          The challenge I always found with any sort of roller or wheel was that they are not really designed for lateral forces. So when they catch the road while the trailers tail end swings out they bend or break.

High Density Polyethylene (I call them Teflon pads as they are super slick) or something similar works really well. If attached correctly, they last forever and can be replaced when ground down. (Certainly cheaper than wheels)

My 2c's....
                          2022 GD Momentum 376THS
                          2020 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by gone AWOL View Post
                            I fabricated a plate, attached to the cross member 18" back, added another 2" HSS cross member at the rear, and then added two HDPE pads. Works a charm.
                            Vertical load supported by the extra cross member, drag load goes back to the 2nd cross member and the pads prevent resistance on the road. All bolted connections, no welding. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211122_102734~2.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	70686 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211122_102725~2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	70687 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211111_145050~2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	70688 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211111_145106~2.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	70689
                            gone AWOL That is an excellent idea! Would you care to share any of the dimensions you used for your setup? Interested in what thickness HDPE you went with to create the 'lip' as well as the metal plate. Thanks in advance!

Comment

The plate was 1/8th and the HDPE was a 2'x4' slab of 2". Heads-up it's expensive stuff but worth it, very easy to work with and super durable. That stuff slides over blacktop and holds up very well. I made an extra set for future use if these ever get worn out.
                              As for the plate best if you measure on the trailer, mainly because I don't have the dimensions handy anymore but also you might want to scale it down a bit. I cut a lot of material out to lighten it but once it was on and working I would cut more openings towards the front where the plate has no potential to contact anything. It's not super heavy but as you know weight is a thing on a RV.
                              Hope you get it sorted.
                              2022 GD Momentum 376THS
                              2020 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Working...
                              X