Loose Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Roof

Here is a video of a roof inspection of a new ( 2022) imagine. Hope this works. Comments please.

Coops
    Last edited by howson; 12-13-2021, 05:27 PM.
    Cooper
    2021 303RLS
    2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

GDRV-Emily or GDRV-Megan -- care to respond to the "AZ Expert" inspection and, in his words, the "disheartening" find regarding the Imagine roof TPO install? (Video from AZ Expert on YouTube is embedded in post 1.)

If you watch the entire video he does state he called Customer Service but disagreed with their response.

Howard

P.S. For the readers of this thread and Cooper , the Alpha installation video is linked below.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      GDRV-Emily or GDRV-Megan -- care to respond to the "AZ Expert" inspection and, in his words, the "disheartening" find regarding the Imagine roof TPO install? (Video from AZ Expert on YouTube is embedded in post 1.)

If you watch the entire video he does state he called Customer Service but disagreed with their response.

Howard

P.S. For the readers of this thread and Cooper , the Alpha installation video is linked below.

Thanks Howard…I will await the response from Grand Design. I think their response will be the “Acid Test” regarding their commitment to quality and customer service.
      I hope GD “ Walks the Talk”

Coops

Cooper
      2021 303RLS

Comment

howson Interesting video I had the same problem and was told the same thing by the dealer who said they had called grand design and it was normal. According to what is was told the roof membrane would shrink and tighten up. I asked the question on this forum and the response was the same and the roof should be fixed. The fix was going to be re pull the membrane. I choose not to do that since that would mean pulling all the trim. The roof is still loose in some areas but no leaks I can find. (Photos attached)
        2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

drifterranch -- I went back and read your Roofing Concern Seeking Opinion thread. All the advice there is, I believe, still valid and applies to Cooper, too. Thanks for the reminder.

The roof wrinkles may indeed just be an appearance issue (sloppy application or perhaps installed in marginal environmental conditions) but it's still disappointing to see in a new rig.

Let's see what Emily and/or Megan have to say (if anything).

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson i agree it was, and is disappointing. I also agree it should be fixed. My issue was the way they wanted to fix it. They wanted to pull all the roof trim and re pull it. The issue with that was it was glued in some spots and not in others. I saw no way they could “pull it” and correct the issue. It really should have been completely redone however that was not an option.
            2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

My roof has quite a number of "bubble" looking areas, but when I push on them they are all hard (no give to them at all). When I had my trailer serviced at the dealer last month I paid them $110 to do a roof inspection and they said everything looked just fine. So I guess the bubbles aren't an issue, at least in my case.

The attached photos show what I call the "bubbles".

Bob
              Attached Files
              Last edited by RJAPCOK; 12-14-2021, 02:14 PM.
              Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
              2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Our roof had a two inch bubble the whole length of the door side, I was told that this was normal and it would lay down after time. Six months later my roof was totally flat and there are no bubbles anywhere. I'm not sure if that's the same for everyone but it worked out for me.
                Donnie & Pattie
                2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
                Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard

Howard any response from Grand Design?

Coops
                  Cooper
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                    Howard any response from Grand Design?
                    No, not yet. They will post here in this thread when one of them sees the tag.

Honestly...make sure there's a reference number to the issue documented on file with Grand Design that covers your concern, then keep an eye on the roof (like we're all supposed to do anyway). I agree with drifterranch 's take (see post 6 above) on how he was worried the "fix" may be worse than the symptoms. Especially if the "fixers" at a dealership are not proficient with roof installations.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I got the same "it's normal" from the salesperson and walk-through tech when I picked up our new (2 weeks ago) 260RD. After walking the entire roof, I found that, like @racerx1699, the material is a little lose down most of the curb side length. Fortunately, the rest appears to be flush with the roof. I will be taking this up with Grand Design along with some other warranty items in the next week and will report back what I'm told.
                      Mike and Rebecca
                      2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                      2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Our 303 was a bit loose on the edges, but seems to have tightened up a bit. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I am up there removing debris before retracting the slides.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I realize a lot of the aforementioned scenarios are different, but I was pleased to find it took me less than 2 hours to get a response from Alpha Sytems when I contacted their warranty department today by email. For my issue - loose material along the curbside of the roof - I feel that they have addressed it adequately. At the very worst I now have written documentation of the issue and Alpha Systems has photos of my roof.

Attached to my post is a form letter Alpha provided regards air pockets specifically, along with the email I received from them. If you have concerns about your roof, and it's an Alpha Systems, they were pretty helpful in responding. I realize that getting an actual repair from your local dealer is an entirely different story, but I have been encouraged by the prompt and helpful replies to my inquiries.
                          Attached Files
                          Mike and Rebecca
                          2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                          2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
                            I realize a lot of the aforementioned scenarios are different, but I was pleased to find it took me less than 2 hours to get a response from Alpha Sytems when I contacted their warranty department today by email. For my issue - loose material along the curbside of the roof - I feel that they have addressed it adequately. At the very worst I now have written documentation of the issue and Alpha Systems has photos of my roof.

Attached to my post is a form letter Alpha provided regards air pockets specifically, along with the email I received from them. If you have concerns about your roof, and it's an Alpha Systems, they were pretty helpful in responding. I realize that getting an actual repair from your local dealer is an entirely different story, but I have been encouraged by the prompt and helpful replies to my inquiries.
                            Thanks for posting! Added Alpha's response to the Reference Material sub-channel. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...stems-response

Howard & Francine

Comment

We have a 2024 Imagine 23LDE. We have bubbles on both sides and along the entire width of the trim at the front cap. GD recommended the repair should pull the membrane tight then replace the trim. My concern is that there is still air trapped in the areas and the stretched membrane is now a bit thinner. Dave Solberg at RVTravel.com recommended adding some glue in the air pockets however Grand Design are not valuing the suggestion. Here is the RVTravel article: https://www.rvtravel.com/bubbles-and...ght-rvdt-2300/
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X