Screen Door Handle Repair (How To)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Door Handle Repair (How To)

Went to open the screen door on my 315RLTS and the handle snapped in two. Always something to fix on an RV! May seem simple, but in the hopes it helps someone else below is how I fixed it.

I ordered a new handle from Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	1186
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	77260
    When I received the new part it was obvious that the holes to mount to the screen door were not going to line up perfectly. So I disassembled the old and new and put the new guts in the old frame.

Separating the two pieces is easy--just gently pry apart the tabs and the two halves separate. Note the orientation of the handle and spring (both were replaced with new).

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	810
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	77261
    The pic below is an attempt to show how far off the screw holes were going to be (and I didn't want to have to mess with trying to get it to work).

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	779
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	77263
    So with a new handle and spring in the old frame, it installed right back where it came from and I now have a fully operational handle again! (For those that understand, the door is FMC, lol.)

Name:	Screen door repair.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	77262

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson Thank you for sharing. I often wonder when I go in and out of the trailer how long that high-use little plastic handle assembly will last.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Nicely done howson. You're right that "it's always something needing repair". The one part on our screen door that kept me busy was the silly catch that holds the two doors together and keeps the screen latch compressed, where the screws kept pulling out of the door. Honestly, something that is a single piece of plastic and two screws shouldn't be that complicated.

Last year I did a combination of larger screws with a deeper thread, filling the stripped holes in the exterior door, and a command adhesive strip cut to the footprint of the latch. So far it has held, but I'm sure my kids will be able to prove otherwise
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I searched and could not find,, Has anyone mounted a door spring to close the screen door, I have pets and it is hard to close the screen door with your hands full, Thanks
        Girard & Patty
        2022 337 RLS
        2011 F250 6.7 Air Lift

Comment

Originally posted by GP&DBC View Post
          I searched and could not find,, Has anyone mounted a door spring to close the screen door, I have pets and it is hard to close the screen door with your hands full, Thanks
          Lippert sells something called a "Screen Shot". Never tried it myself.

Close the Door! How many times have you heard this shouted while RVing? The majority of RV screen doors DO NOT come with a retracting hinge, allowing the screen door to hang wide open if it is not shut properly. This invites unwanted pests inside your liv
          Ken & Sandra
          2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post

I didn't know such a thing existed until I googled it... found the Lippert closer on Amazon - seems to have reasonable reviews.

Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post

Thank you. I spent a year trying to do something with my MH before I got my GD. This makes it much easier.
              Girard & Patty
              2022 337 RLS
              2011 F250 6.7 Air Lift

Comment

GP&DBC amp;

Cheers! If you end up trying it, let us know how it works out...
                Ken & Sandra
                2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

we've had it two years, works perfect.

Comment

Ordered Screen Shot from Amazon, installed it Friday, Easy to install, and works Great! Make sure you order the correct size. Had to return the first one for a bigger size. Off we go without letting the pets out, and the bugs in!!!!! Thanks KSC
                    Girard & Patty
                    2022 337 RLS
                    2011 F250 6.7 Air Lift

Comment

Working...
                    X