Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Momentum 21G Rear awning install write up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum 21G Rear awning install write up?

Anyone have an install how to? I picked up the awning that wasn't installed at the time I picked the trailer up. Instead of pulling the trailer all the way back to the dealer I figured I would install it myself but there are no instructions. Guy at the dealer assured me it was easy.
    2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
    2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
    x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post
    Anyone have an install how to? I picked up the awning that wasn't installed at the time I picked the trailer up. Instead of pulling the trailer all the way back to the dealer I figured I would install it myself but there are no instructions. Guy at the dealer assured me it was easy.
    This awning, Nick?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear awning.JPG
Views:	2801
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	77509

"Easy" is definitely in relation to one's experience with the given topic. I'm dumbfounded it wasn't installed at the factory.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is a wall mount type awning. There are 3 or 4 brackets that mount to the wall and then the awning hooks on to the brackets and is secured by screws to the bracket. I think there is to be a gutter that mounts just above the awning, actually should almost touch the awning, this will stop water from dripping down behind the awning. I have researched this type of awning to put on our Reflection on the kitchen slide but have not done it , yet.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You will likely have 3 wall mount brackets. 2 larger ones, and one small one. Like Brian said attach the mounting brackets to the wall (instead of screwing to a wall, you may have to drill a hole through the wall, slide a bolt through the hole to the inside of the trailer with a small plate against the inside wall). Attach the awning onto the brackets (awning will probably sit onto a curved section of the bracket). Secure awning with screws (through holes in the brackets into awning itself).

There should be a "gutter" as Brian mentioned. A few months back I took pictures of an installed awning. These pictures may help know where to place awning.

Name:	awning 1.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	77530

Name:	awning 2.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	77531

Name:	awning 3.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	77532
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks guys that is the exact awning. I'm going to take a closer look next week when the weather is better, if it looks like too much of a PITA I'll drive the trailer the two hours to the dealer. I just wish it came with some kind of instructions!

Comment

NickinCO

Here is a link to the Freedom Wall Mount page from Carefree , Freedom Wall Mount - Carefree of Colorado , look under Technical documents for installation instructions.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Not to add any additional worry but this awning was one of the squawks on our warranty repair checklist - on 2nd outing it wouldn't retract all the way. (Had to whittle a hex tool and reverse engineer the Extension and Retract stop potentiometers in the field!). You'll want to read and re-read the adjustment procedure from the linked guide(within the Technical Documents tab) as they can seem a little bass-ackwards(or maybe it was me that was). Adjustments are made under the cap on the left side as you face the garage door from the rear - same side as ladder. Phillips head screws in my case although I see Torx in the above picture.

Ultimately our issue became one of over-extension that I couldn't get adjusted back in to spec. I suspect they replaced the whole thing (we'll see - still at the dealer).
              Rich and Kathy
              2022 Momentum 21G
              Camping, boondocking and Vintage Moto-X in the Rocky Mountains

Comment

Originally posted by rvoelker View Post
                Not to add any additional worry but this awning was one of the squawks on our warranty repair checklist - on 2nd outing it wouldn't retract all the way. (Had to whittle a hex tool and reverse engineer the Extension and Retract stop potentiometers in the field!). You'll want to read and re-read the adjustment procedure from the linked guide(within the Technical Documents tab) as they can seem a little bass-ackwards(or maybe it was me that was). Adjustments are made under the cap on the left side as you face the garage door from the rear - same side as ladder. Phillips head screws in my case although I see Torx in the above picture.

Ultimately our issue became one of over-extension that I couldn't get adjusted back in to spec. I suspect they replaced the whole thing (we'll see - still at the dealer).
                oh i believe it. When I picked up the awning they had a shipment of about 25 of them and I would guess 3/4 of them were damaged.

Comment

So I got around to installing the awning today but I have a few questions for you guys I'm hoping someone can answer or give advice on. First off, this install was way more work than it should have been. The gutter underneath the red running lights and the LED's were not spaced out enough to fit the awning brackets in between. I posted a photo of this below. I ended up removing the trim the covers where the wood/metal door frame meet to remove the LEDs and move them lower down onto the metal door frame. I reattached them with double sided VHB tape. I'm confident this is correct based on the photos posted above. After I got done with the main install there's a portion of the directions posted below that says to "Secure the awning" through the "arm case knuckle" with a self taping screw. I'm not quite sure what the arm case knuckle is but I'm assuming it's where the awning arm attaches to the main body of the awning. Photo also posted below. I don't think the photo in the instructions looks anything like my awning though. The installation kit did not come with any large self tapping screws either. Only 6 tiny ones that were used to drill through the bottom of the mount bracket and into the awning. It makes me nervous having that as the only thing holding the awning onto the bracket so my thought is to buy some self tappers, extend the awning out, and go through the back of the awning into the brackets that are bolted through the rear wall. Thoughts on this?

The other issue I noticed after completing the install and looking at this thread again- in the photo above it looks like the gutter is actually attached to the awning. I've attached a photo of my install below and you can see it would have fit in there although it probably would have been more of a pain to line the brackets up correctly. I'm assuming this is more for rain protection instead of structural support? I'm thinking I may leave mine the way it is instead of making 6 new holes in the rear of the trailer? I will run a large bead of sealant down the top of the back of the awning for water protection. I also sealed all 6 holes I made with VHB tape. The last photo is of my completed install. I definitely don't want this thing to rip off while driving dirt road though!

edit: I ended up putting 3 #12 2" self taping screws through the awning into each mounting bracket. I'm confident this is solid. I'll silicone the top tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	79899 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 6.36.07 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	505.0 KB ID:	79900 Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	79901 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	79902 Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	79903
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NickinCO; 03-22-2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

That looks good. I have to wonder though the the small "gutter, hooked shape" on the upper back of the awning looks like it would fit in the factory awning bracket but not sure if you would be able to attach the awning to the awning brackets mounted to the side wall. It looks like the factory does this , pic 1 post 4 above.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      That looks good. I have to wonder though the the small "gutter, hooked shape" on the upper back of the awning looks like it would fit in the factory awning bracket but not sure if you would be able to attach the awning to the awning brackets mounted to the side wall. It looks like the factory does this , pic 1 post 4 above.

Brian
                      Exactly. I think if I did it over I would make the attempt but now that I've already drilled holes I'm happy with it! After adding the self tapping bolts through the awning backing (with the awning extended) into each mount bracket I feel it's very secure.

Comment

Working...
                      X