Stove Vent Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove Vent Leak

We have had a few leaks since we took delivery of our Mo. Of course they did not show up until we had some good rain. We just tracked down the last one. Initially in heavy rain we had water dripping in the window at the range. First thought was just an improperly installed seal. Of course that would be too easy. A new seal did seem to slow the leak down but not stopped. Also found water where the floor and exterior wall meet behind the fridge. Could not duplicate the leak easily with a water hose. In an effort to shorten this post, by a process of elimination we have narrowed the leak down to the vent for the cooktop. I had done the basics of resealing the top and sides. It appears that enough water comes off the slide topper in heavy rain that it rolls over the edge of the vent and back under the bottom. I will post some pictures soon. Don’t have a fix for it yet, have to wait for a few days of dry weather and preferably warm.
    I could not find any other references to this leak. It was quite by accident that I found the water behind the fridge.
    2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
    Traded 2021 Reflection 337
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
    Formerly M&K337

MK397THR -- so is the water dripping from the window also related to the vent? I'm confused if there are two problems or two evidences of the same source of the problem (vent).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think both leaks were related to the vent. When we removed the window to reseal it, the original seal appeared to have good contact. I think that when we re installed the window it must have tightened the wall contact enough to divert more of the water down the wall. Path of least resistance.
      Formerly M&K337

Comment

Is your vent the type that latches closed? I latch ours if wind or heavy rain is expected.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	media.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	78644
          This is the vent that we have. I have never found water inside the flap. But right now all options are still on the table. Here is a link to a video of an install of the vent.
          It appears to me that the plastic is long enough to go thru the wall. There is a piece just under the flap, that small strip that is not molded to the housing. I am not sure what its function is, I will know more when I get ours out.

Formerly M&K337

Comment

So is the vent leaking with the latches holding the flap closed?
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

yes, we have had water appear with latches holding the flap closed.
              Formerly M&K337

Comment

If you note at 2:08 in the video, when he pulls it off, the stuff behind there is basically not stuck and not doing it's job. Would not be surprised if that one was leaking. You may need to have it pulled and re sealed.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

About time to update this thread. I did narrow the leak down to just taping over the flap area and the leak would stop. I finally got around to replace the vent awhile back. So far no leaks. What I can say is the strip just under where the flap closes was really loose to the rest of the assembly. I siliconed that area on the new one and used butyl tape to install it.
                  Formerly M&K337

Comment

Working...
                  X