Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stromberg Lend-A-Hand Internal Hardware Replacement (Wobble!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromberg Lend-A-Hand Internal Hardware Replacement (Wobble!)

The handle on the Stromberg Lend-A-Hand that I added to my '19 315RLTS has a wobble in it. What I mean by "wobble" is the handle doesn't sit in the holder's without moving (when gripped, obviously) once the handle is in the deployed position.

To try and resolve the issue I replaced the internal hardware. Spoiler alert: it helped a little but didn't remove all the wobble. :( So the purpose for this post is not how to remove the wobble, it's to show that the internal hardware can be replaced if necessary.

The internal hardware consists of a pin and spring retained by a spring washer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stromberg.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	79787

I replaced those internals with a 1/4 x 3" stainless bolt (with washer), a new spring, and then a nylon lock nut. I guessed at the tension on the spring by "feel". All the hardware was off-the-shelf components I found at the local Ace Hardware. (I actually took the handle with me to confirm all of it would work right. Got a few sideways looks from other shoppers, lol.)

Name:	After Stromberg.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	79788

So what to do about the wobble? I tried a few goofy ideas but nothing in the end holds the handle as rigidly as I'd like so...(here comes the DW's most hated expression!)...it is what it is. Nothing dangerous or even that noticeable, I just don't like the wobble. If I ever come across a replacement handle that provides the same reach capability as the Stromberg Lend-A-Hand I may just replace it.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Oh--and I got a surprise after I took off the handle and turned it over: water came pouring out. I drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the handle to hopefully take care of that problem in the future. I also silicone sealed around the new bolts.

Name:	hole.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	79790
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard would it also help to add a replacement lower unit to the top? Then add your mod to increase its grip as well. Two units with clamping force on the bar may help if parts are available.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        Howard would it also help to add a replacement lower unit to the top? Then add your mod to increase its grip as well. Two units with clamping force on the bar may help if parts are available.
        I did replace the hardware in both the top and bottom holders, Jim.

The wobble is likely due to the "U" in the holder and the round shape of the handle. I don't remember the "wobble" when it was new, so perhaps the wear and tear of the handle moving back and forth from the stowed position (tucked against the camper) and the deployed position has worn away enough of the holders to allow for the slight movement.

Again, not a big deal. Was on my "To Do" list so gave it a shot.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I did replace the hardware in both the top and bottom holders, Jim.

The wobble is likely due to the "U" in the holder and the round shape of the handle. I don't remember the "wobble" when it was new, so perhaps the wear and tear of the handle moving back and forth from the stowed position (tucked against the camper) and the deployed position has worn away enough of the holders to allow for the slight movement.

Again, not a big deal. Was on my "To Do" list so gave it a shot.
          Oh ok. From your pic is looked like the top may just be the depression without the pin and spring and only the lower has the pin/spring assembly. Figured two brackets with pin and spring would increase the clamping force overall.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X