carefree rear "sunshade"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carefree rear "sunshade"

First time we use our 2021 350G rear carefree "sunshade" it retracted within about 9 in of fully retracted, so we extended it out and again tried to retract it. This time it stop about 24 in of fully retracted. Tried a third and fourth times and it will only retracted to within 5 feet now. When extending, it continues to unroll after the linkage is fully extended and the cover goes slack. Tried numerous times to adjust both the extend and retract limits using the adjusting screws one turn at a time per instructions which seem to do nothing. Anyone have a fix? We are camp hosts and can't take it and leave it for the dealer to do warranty work after talking with GD customer service. We have retracted it fully now with a ratchet on the curbside, but want it fixed before our warranty runs out.. TIA

Originally posted by ratpowered View Post
    First time we use our 2021 350G rear carefree "sunshade" it retracted within about 9 in of fully retracted, so we extended it out and again tried to retract it. This time it stop about 24 in of fully retracted. Tried a third and fourth times and it will only retracted to within 5 feet now. When extending, it continues to unroll after the linkage is fully extended and the cover goes slack. Tried numerous times to adjust both the extend and retract limits using the adjusting screws one turn at a time per instructions which seem to do nothing. Anyone have a fix? We are camp hosts and can't take it and leave it for the dealer to do warranty work after talking with GD customer service. We have retracted it fully now with a ratchet on the curbside, but want it fixed before our warranty runs out.. TIA
    I would explain to GD Customer Service that you can not get to a dealer, maybe they will authorize a mobile tech to come to you and repair it being as you are under warranty.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When mine did that it was because the gearing in the crank mechanism was stripped. Apparently it wears out after awhile. I was able to fix it myself after buying the part from Carefree.

More info... on extension the spring tension in the arms help it roll past the stripped spot. When trying to retract the tension is against winding so when it gets to stripped spot it stops. The place it stops changes because of the gearing. I think mine got stripped because I would give it an extra bump when closing to be sure it was fully closed and I guess that finally wore the teeth enough to start slipping which then kept getting worse. I do that much more gently now.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
      X