Sealing and repairing rear "deck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing and repairing rear "deck"

Because my wife likes trips to the Texas coast, rust is a frequent visitor to the trailer. The rear door/deck took a toll. The screws were rusted, the cables and cable attachment hardware were rusted and corroded, and the metal frame around the back of the trailer was getting rust.

Another problem.....we have a toy hauler but don't have toys. We love the rear deck, but it is very rough on the feet. Also, it's not really waterproof.

I finally had some time to try to remedy these issues.

Ramp/deck: treated all screws on ramp/deck for rust, then applied 2 coats of Raptor liner (minus the traction additive) on the ramp/deck covering all screws as well (just on the top side). I waited 4 days then applied black caulking at all seams. The result is a much smoother texture and a (hopefully) waterproof ramp/deck.

Misc rusted pieces: I removed all rust, then sprayed with a metal primer, 2 layers of black Rustoleum, then 2 layers of a protective enamel. I also replaced some bolts and nuts with 316 stainless steel bolts and nuts and reattached with butyl tape than black caulking. It looks much better and will, hopefully, provide some protection for a year or two.

ignore the footprints on the ramp...I took my shoes off so I wouldn't get the ramp dirty. But I had dirty feet :(

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	98082
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Nicely done!
    2022 Momentum 381MS
    2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
    Reese Elite 27K Puck System
    Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57