No announcement yet.

How old is too old for a used RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before we went fulltime in 2018, we bought an RV lot near where we lived to use as a weekend retreat. It came with a 10 year old RV. I had never even set foot in an RV and never owned anything larger than a van. This RV unbeknownst to me was a high end unit in its build age and in excellent shape but it had not moved ever from this lot. I learned a lot of how things operated and what was required to maintain it. I am handy but had zero mechanical skills and had limited tools at the time. But I was intrigued by these new to me systems and how it was constructed. So I researched, learned from watching YouTube videos, forum participation and my neighbors.

Do you enjoy learning a new skill including how to use tools you never knew existed? Tackling and trying to solve problems on the fly? Waking up and wondering what else could possibly break??? If you answered yes to all of these questions then fulltime living in an RV is right for you. Even a new RV like we bought in 2018 will have problems some due to build quality and some due to appliances and systems in your coach not functioning as they should. If anyone buys mine they will happy with it as I have been on top of maintenance, it is free of water damage and everything works. Buying new does not guarantee a trouble free unit. I think having it inspected if you are not confident or knowledgeable at the moment is a great idea even if new.

Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Not exactly your original question, but I would consider it a good idea to go on a couple 2-4 week rv trips prior to committing to the full time life style. It's a big change.
      I have considered this, and because we do not currently have a tow vehicle, we would have to rent a Class A or C. However, I suppose it would give us a good look at what life on the road would be like. Will have to bring it up with the better half. Thanks for the suggestion.
      Planning to retire in the next year and buy an RV so my wife and I can tour North America full-time.
      Considering a 297RSTS or a 320MKS
      No tow vehicle yet - will buy when we finalize the RV

Comment

you could try using one of the RV rental services that offer setup for you. While not the whole experience of towing and such, it does offer the insight of the day to day of being in such a small space.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ptype%3Dsearch
        https://www.outdoorsy.com/?cam=g1455...BoCnDUQAvD_BwE
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          Before we went fulltime in 2018, we bought an RV lot near where we lived to use as a weekend retreat. It came with a 10 year old RV. I had never even set foot in an RV and never owned anything larger than a van. This RV unbeknownst to me was a high end unit in its build age and in excellent shape but it had not moved ever from this lot. I learned a lot of how things operated and what was required to maintain it. I am handy but had zero mechanical skills and had limited tools at the time. But I was intrigued by these new to me systems and how it was constructed. So I researched, learned from watching YouTube videos, forum participation and my neighbors.

Do you enjoy learning a new skill including how to use tools you never knew existed? Tackling and trying to solve problems on the fly? Waking up and wondering what else could possibly break??? If you answered yes to all of these questions then fulltime living in an RV is right for you. Even a new RV like we bought in 2018 will have problems some due to build quality and some due to appliances and systems in your coach not functioning as they should. If anyone buys mine they will happy with it as I have been on top of maintenance, it is free of water damage and everything works. Buying new does not guarantee a trouble free unit. I think having it inspected if you are not confident or knowledgeable at the moment is a great idea even if new.
          Not sure I can answer yes to all of your questions BUT I am adaptable and enjoy learning new skills. I have spent the better part of year learning about RVs and the RV lifestyle through YouTube videos, blogs, forums and feel "relatively" confident that, between me and my wife, we can make it work. Knowing what might go wrong before we embark on this journey has also been very helpful.

Thanks for your insight!
          Planning to retire in the next year and buy an RV so my wife and I can tour North America full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            you could try using one of the RV rental services that offer setup for you. While not the whole experience of towing and such, it does offer the insight of the day to day of being in such a small space.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ptype%3Dsearch
            https://www.outdoorsy.com/?cam=g1455...BoCnDUQAvD_BwE
            Thanks Joseph,

I have been scoping out Outdoorsy periodically over the last year and am considering a rental as an option. My wife and I currently live in an 1100 sq ft apartment so the downsizing might not be as dramatic as someone moving from a 2200 sq ft house.

Comment

1100 sq ft apt vs under 400 sq ft trailer is still a huge jump in downsizing. Not done it personally, but i can imagine. Hopefully you have plans to store stuff like clothes between seasons.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                1100 sq ft apt vs under 400 sq ft trailer is still a huge jump in downsizing. Not done it personally, but i can imagine. Hopefully you have plans to store stuff like clothes between seasons.
                A friend of mine is a big boating guy and has been sailing for years. He and his wife planned to live full-time on their sailboat for at least one year so he moved from a 2500 sq ft home to a 1000 sq ft condo and lived there for a year before transitioning to the boat. He told me that the transition was still challenging but less so if had he moved directly from his house. I know the transition will have it's difficulties and both my wife and I are prepared to deal with them (we hope!).

We have storage ideas in mind, too. Large household items will be stored in a climate controlled locker and clothing at my daughter's house.

Comment

Mr. Kelley

If you budget allows, overlap the RV purchase with the sale of the “sticks and bricks” for a year or two . . . this will tell you if this is workable. We keep a 2000 sq ft home, but live very comfortably for 4 months (with 2 dogs and 2 cats ) in our 300 sq ft RV in Florida. In the RV, the living space is just fine, the bed is more comfortable (in my opinion). For 25 years we spent summers in a similar size boat, so we are used to this “space”. The thing I miss the most is my very well equipped workshop at the “sticks and bricks”. If I could get past that . . . we could go full time.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Mr. Kelley

If you budget allows, overlap the RV purchase with the sale of the “sticks and bricks” for a year or two . . . this will tell you if this is workable. We keep a 2000 sq ft home, but live very comfortably for 4 months (with 2 dogs and 2 cats ) in our 300 sq ft RV in Florida. In the RV, the living space is just fine, the bed is more comfortable (in my opinion). For 25 years we spent summers in a similar size boat, so we are used to this “space”. The thing I miss the most is my very well equipped workshop at the “sticks and bricks”. If I could get past that . . . we could go full time.

Rob
                    Totally understand the tools......I would be lost without access to my 3K Sq ft shop, tools and muscle cars. Lol
                    40-year Camping Enthusiast
                    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kelley View Post
                      Hi again,

I have a question regarding the purchase of a used RV.

The current plan for my wife and I is to buy a new fifth wheel but we are also considering a used one. What is the maximum age to consider if we plan to RV full-time for 5+ years?

I am comfortable buying a 5 year old truck to tow our new home but don't know if this also applies to RVs. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
                      Mr. Kelley
                      Hi,

Please let me offer a suggestion. We have had two used and two new RVs. There is a substantial RV tuition payment when you start. You might buy an F-150 for about 8K and a TT for about 10K and take weekend trips for this year. You will be able to sell them in a year with modest cost, but will have a much better understanding of maintaining and driving an RV. Plus, you will have a better ability to select the RV model and floorplan that is best for you.

Best,

Charles
                      2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Mr. Kelley

Rob
                        We live in an apartment so we could keep it; however, it would be a considerable expense ($20K yr) just to test the waters. I don't really want to get into subleasing either...did that once and got screwed. I am more inclined to dive in and try it for a year. If it doesn't work out then sell the RV and tow vehicle and find another apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

Hi,

Please let me offer a suggestion. We have had two used and two new RVs. There is a substantial RV tuition payment when you start. You might buy an F-150 for about 8K and a TT for about 10K and take weekend trips for this year. You will be able to sell them in a year with modest cost, but will have a much better understanding of maintaining and driving an RV. Plus, you will have a better ability to select the RV model and floorplan that is best for you.

Best,

Charles
                          Thanks Charles,

That's an interesting option worth considering; I will discuss it with the better half.

We have visited multiple RV shows and dealers so we "think" we have a pretty good idea of the models and floorplans that would be best for us. However, testing the waters for a year with used, relatively inexpensive units could help validate that assumption as well as confirm that full time RV living is right for us.

Thanks for your perspective.
                          Kelley

Comment

Working...
                          X