New 303 owner from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 303 owner from Florida

Greetings! After looking for almost two years we finally found a 303RLS that would work for us. It's a 2019 and needs a little cleanup and a minor repair here and there and a few mods but, we're retired and handy and it's not our first rodeo, as they say. Looking forward to getting back on the road once she's road worthy again. Suspension needs an overhaul is the first project. Definitely new springs. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Originally posted by 2Alpha View Post
    Greetings! After looking for almost two years we finally found a 303RLS that would work for us. It's a 2019 and needs a little cleanup and a minor repair here and there and a few mods but, we're retired and handy and it's not our first rodeo, as they say. Looking forward to getting back on the road once she's road worthy again. Suspension needs an overhaul is the first project. Definitely new springs. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
    There's a few owners here with a lot of experience with 303RLS' and similar units. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

In the meantime, there is a wealth of information already here on the forum. Please take a few minutes to read through the Welcome Letter, set up your signature line, and then try out a few searches using the hints and tricks documented in the Forum How To channel. Well worth your time IMHO to know how to navigate around this place!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

WRT suspension, it kind of depends on what you have.

1) Cre3000 is a good equalizer upgrade from previous generations. Comes on 2021. There are also air equalizers like the lippert comfort-ride(?), but I did slipper springs later instead (#8)
      2) heavy duty shackles and greasable wet bolts with bronze bushings. Comes on 2021.
      3) possibly reinforce spring hangers, especially rear hanger. This can be either by welding tabs or other reinforcements to the hangers, or installing morryde x-factor crossmembers. I did x-factor.
      4) upgrade springs from 2600 lb to 3000 lb (or maybe eg sumo springs, although I don't have personal experience with those). I did this early on when my springs seemed flat.
      5) heavier tires. I went with Hercules H901
      6) if you are really loading heavy and/or want it bombproof, 6000 lb axles. I did this after ending up with a bent axle and really bad tire wear. Between these and the heavier springs, it adds some technical capacity, even though it does not change the rated capacity.
      7) shocks. I did Roadmaster shocks
      8) slipper springs or independent suspension. I went with Roadmaster slipper springs. Felt like independent suspension might be overkill for this weight class. Note this does away with original springs, equalizers, shackles and wet bolts.
      9) disk brakes. Adds stopping power and brake heat dissipation, with hydraulics. Seemed overkill to me for this weight class when I have engine brakes.

Did I miss anything? 🤔
      Mark & Kim Donnell
      Donnells On The Road!
      Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
      '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
      Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
      https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

Working...
      X