2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Are currently on the maiden trip with our new Reflection 315 RLTS. So far so good except no hot water. The unit has a Furrion tankless water heater. I’ve been able to determine no cold water is flowing to the water heater. Is anyone aware of there may be a valve hidden within the underbelly of the unit?

Make sure the bottom left valve on your nautilus is pointing straight up. Follow the valve alignment on the face. Also make sure the flow valve on the front of the heater is not turned down all the way. Turn it up for more flow.
    USN Engineer Retired
    2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
    2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch and Sandra View Post
      Are currently on the maiden trip with our new Reflection 315 RLTS. So far so good except no hot water. The unit has a Furrion tankless water heater. I’ve been able to determine no cold water is flowing to the water heater. Is anyone aware of there may be a valve hidden within the underbelly of the unit?
      Welcome, Mitch and Sandra, to the forum.

Please take a picture of the main Nautilus Panel and post it here. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a three-valve setup (versus the five valve I have on my '19 and the other versions seen over the years). If you do have a three-valve, there may be a heater bypass behind the felt wall in the passthrough that was inadvertently left in the wrong position. It will look something like the pic below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bypass.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	96433
      Last edited by howson; 10-08-2022, 06:52 AM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome, Mitch and Sandra, to the forum.

Please take a picture of the main Nautilus Panel and post it here. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a three-valve setup (versus the five valve I have on my '19 and the other versions seen over the years). If you do have a three-valve, there may be a heater bypass behind the felt wall in the passthrough that was inadvertently left in the wrong position. It will look something like the pic below.

My 2023 303RLS is a 3 valve Nautilus. Our friends purchased a 2022 303RLS the week prior and they have a 5 valve.

In my initial "digging" around the unit looking for issues and see the inner workings, I found the water heater bypass behind the felt wall of the Nautilus. That seems like an unusual place.

Oh and in the process of snooping around, I found a leak behind the Nautilus. 🙄 Repaired that and examined the rest of the pex connections. Most were improperly done, but they aren't leaking.
        Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
        2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
        2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

There is also an ON/OFF switch on the water heater itself that is accessible when removing the exterior white panel. Secondly, I'm sure you've checked, but make sure your propane is ON.

Upon rereading your post, I see you've determined water isn't flowing. Thought about deleting but decided to leave this up for future readers.
          Last edited by jbt816; 10-08-2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s. I have the Natilus 3 valve system so it makes sense There is a bypass elsewhere. I’ll get in the pass through and look for access to the natilus in that area. If this is the case seems the prep service wasn’t completed as well as I hoped

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s. I have the Natilus 3 valve system so it makes sense There is a bypass elsewhere. I’ll get in the pass through and look for access to the natilus in that area. If this is the case seems the prep service wasn’t completed as well as I hoped
              If you find the bypass valve would you mind posting a picture of it at its location., also post a picture of you Nautilus panel.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I’ve included a photo of the 3 valve system. Removed the felt side panel to the left and surprise there was the bypass valve. We now have hot water for our final morning

Comment

The red handle on the nautialus is the heater bypass valve. Pointed up for proper heater operation and sideways for bypass.
                  USN Engineer Retired

Comment

Originally posted by markandkim View Post
                    The red handle on the nautialus is the heater bypass valve. Pointed up for proper heater operation and sideways for bypass.
                    On a Nautilus panel (like mine) and presumably like the one in your 315, you'd be correct. However, look closely at the panel in post 8 -- there's no red handle.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

That must be a change made in 2023. Probally since we both have on demand water heaters, where a bypass would be un necessary. They have been having issues with people winterizing wrong because the manual tells you to bypass the heater. Looks like they corrected that by eliminating the red (bypass) valve. 315's now only come with these new HW heaters.
                      USN Engineer Retired

Comment

Originally posted by markandkim View Post
                        That must be a change made in 2023. Probally since we both have on demand water heaters, where a bypass would be un necessary. They have been having issues with people winterizing wrong because the manual tells you to bypass the heater. Looks like they corrected that by eliminating the red (bypass) valve. 315's now only come with these new HW heaters.
                        No the bypass valve is behind the Nautilus panel. You have to unscrew the wall in the pass-thru hold to access it. I have a 2023 303 and that's where mine is too

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. I have a 2022 Reflection 280RS.

Last night when I walked the dog for the last time, the temp was 35 F, I went back out and opened the low point drain and the valves in the coach. At 11 PM the temp had already dropped to 32 F. By 7 AM this morning the temp was down to 25 F. A record cold for October in south-western Virginia. I'm glad I did. We are going out again in 2 weeks and I didn't want to have to Winterize the coach twice.

After reading all the posts twice in this thread, I opened the panel behind the 5 valve Nautilus and didn't see anything that looked like bypass valves. I had a Newmar Canyon Star motorhome which I sold and bought this 280RS. It had the bypass valves right next to the on demand WH clearly visible.

Attached are the pictures of the view behind the panel and the front of the Furrion On Demand WH with the front panel removed.

Am I missing something? Why does an On Demand WH need a bypass? How much water can it hold? Why would Grand Design hide something as important as bypass valves where nobody could see them?

Tom in Bedford, VA
                          Tom H. Bedford, VA
                          RVing for 30+ years 4 fifth wheels and one motorhome

2021 F250 SB - Fifth Super Duty
                          Reflection 280RS

Comment

Originally posted by TEH4PWR View Post
                            Okay, I'm confused. ... Am I missing something?
                            Tom,
                            From what I can see in the first picture there's a red handle on the Nautilus panel (water heater bypass) thus I'm guessing you've got an "old" setup. There won't be a bypass anywhere else. Turn that red handle on the Nautilus 90 degrees and no water will flow through the heater. Then drain the appliance completely (by removing both the filter cover and the drain plug) and blow out with compressed air per the owner's manual.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

TEH4PWRDon't forge that there is a red handled valve on the back of the HWH. It's not a traditional on off but more of a momentary on valve. Once you have the filter and drain on the front (bottom right of the unit behind the white lift panel) twist the valve a few times (i try to turn it just enough to hold it open) and this will drain the back side of the unit. There is a mixing chamber on the back of the unit that is a bit of a pain to drain otherwise.

I do not remember whom the credit goes to for finding that in the manual, but it's buried down in there.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X