No announcement yet.

Foam Desk in 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The desk is done! Go back to post 1 to see the concept (as drawn in Sketchup) and compare to the "real deal". I'm satisfied with the result!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	8 Size:	858.7 KB ID:	116921

What you see above is "travel mode". Probably can't see it, but bungee cords keep the chairs in place (bungees attach to the lattice panel at the rear of the desk). All the components on the desk are secured in place with either velcro or VHB tape as they are meant to never move. (The small round black things are wireless Samsung phone chargers.)

Below is "use it" mode. The laptops we purchased flip to become tablets, so this enables us to use the bluetooth keyboards and a "real" mouse. The router connects to a USB drive that is our "network" drive. The router connects to docking stations which in turn connect to our laptops (that's the small black cable you can see at the top right of each laptop). One thunderbolt cable charges and is the data link--it's awesome!

The ASUS router is in "repeater" mode and is connected to the Winegard that was already installed way back when. So all I have to do is connect the Winegard to an internet source and everything else in the trailer just works as each component is either connected to the ASUS repeater or directly to the Winegard.

Unlikely this is a very efficient setup, but it works from my modest needs. I didn't want to spend the $$$ on a full-up NAS duplication of the home setup, and (for now) updating to StarLink or other internet access is not in the cards.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	7 Size:	865.1 KB ID:	116922

Don't want to bore you with too many details. If there's a question fire away and I'll be glad to answer. As always, if there's a unanticipated issue I'll be sure to post the lesson learned.

Howard

Last edited by howson; 07-24-2023, 05:25 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is simply awesome. May have to alter my plans to replace the dinette in the 395 after seeing this.
      Bill
      2022 Silverado 3500 DRW
      2023 Momentum 395MS & 2022 Imagine 21BHE

Comment

Genuinely this is absolutely amazing. I am so impressed by this custom work, and love how it has come together. I can't wait to hear how amazing this is working for you.

Comment

A follow-up report on the desk. Bottom line is it was a fantastic addition to the camper and it performed (almost) up to expectations on our trip last summer.

What didn't work? The hope the side cabinets would stay in place (via friction) did not work out. They "walked" away from where they were supposed to stay until the chairs stopped their movement. To remedy the problem there are now screws going through the cabinet into togglers (the latter cut down so they are not too long) which are screwed and glued into the foam sides and top. Four into the front wall and two into the top (near the end of the cabinet closest to the rear wall of the camper).

It was actually very easy to add this modification. With the cabinet in it's ideal position a hole was drilled through the cabinet wood and into the foam (being careful not to go through the front or top). Then the cabinet was removed and the hole in the foam was evident. The togglers were screwed (and glued) into place, then the cabinets were reinserted and the screws went right into the togglers.

Those side cabinets shouldn't move now!

The rear cabinets don't move because the power outlets in the top insert through the surface of the desk and then into a hole cut in the top of the cabinet. Thus they are held in place.

The other problem was self-induced. The dining room slide grabbed an office chair and jammed it into the side trim of the desk, breaking the trim away from the foam. The repair was simple. A couple of new toothpicks inserted through newly-drilled holes in the trim and into the foam (with glue on them). Added some glue to the back of the trim and then taped it in place until dry. Then a light sanding and repainted--no one would know there had ever been a problem. The point is that the foam construction makes a repair easy.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great job Howard. It almost makes me want to work a desk job!
            2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Hi Howard,

I am impressed! This is an excellent install. I know you and DW will enjoy this.

Charles
              2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Howard,

Very nice job! Looks like it came from the factory that way. Super impressed and possibly one day a perfect addition to our Reflection 297RSTS.

Craig
                Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-12-2024, 04:52 PM.
                Craig
                2023 Reflection 297RSTS
                2000 Ford F-350

Comment

If only we could get the entire RV made to this level of craftsmanship! For those that are not as handy, I have made a lightweight trestle desk using a hollow core door for the top. It had plenty of structure, and lasted through 2 growing boys. I just covered the exposed edges with a matching piece of hardwood trim. If you keep an eye out, you might even find a door with a blemish on one side for next to nothing, like I did.
                  2022 Reflection 280RS
                  2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

I LOVE THIS!! Very nice job!! Thank you for posting all of the photos and detailed explanation. MUCH APPRECIATED!! Adding a similar desk in my 315RLTS.

Comment

awesome mod Howard. Will look forward to seeing it in August.
                      Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                      2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Working...
                      X