Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refrigerator cabinet all but dissolved on this last trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator cabinet all but dissolved on this last trip!

I hesitate to load pictures. One because I might delete this thread if the dealer and GDRV get there act together and take responsibility for the low quality of this build that's supposed to support this fridge, and two I'll probably start a whole new thread detailing what happened and how I'm repairing it regardless of what the dealer and GDRV do.

This thread post is mostly to vent and of course get advice. I did my research before buying a GD. I didn't buy it because the quality was supposed to be that much better. I didn't get that impression. I bought it because I heard so many good things about customer service. I haven't seen that. In the 2 events so far. The first was rectified, and it should be, we bought the extended warranty. It seems like the dealer and GD are pointing fingers at each other instead of solving the problem!

Anyway, we noticed some cracks in the face trim around the fridge on our first trip of the season. We took some pictures and sent them to the dealer. Not going to miss the season for that.

On this last trip we went in the trailer when we stopped for gas and the face trim was separating from the rest of the cabinet. I had to push the fridge back in and brace it in place to get to destination.

It was even worse when we finally arrived. On the way home I braced it pretty good but the shelf holding the fridge up collapsed down into the drawer cavity below. The fridge fell forward. Food was everywhere. The just about every piece of trim, plywood, "framing," and beyond was damaged or broken. The fridge still works but the front decorative panel is scuffed up pretty bad.

I'll happily take any input anyone offers on any aspect of this situation. Personally I want to rebuild the cabinet myself. I can't believe how little went into securing this fridge in place

2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Originally posted by Hortstu View Post

I'll happily take any input anyone offers on any aspect of this situation. Personally I want to rebuild the cabinet myself. I can't believe how little went into securing this fridge in place
    I understand your feelings regarding this poor build quality, but personally I'd rebuild the cabinet the way you want it, and attached the fridge to the floor of the cabinet the way it should have been from the start. Even if GD authorizes a rebuild by the dealer, I bet it won't be the way you would prefer it, and it will take weeks to get it done. I would push for the parts that were damaged to be sent to you, and hope for the best.

2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Unfortunately RV construction is about weight savings not necessarily support in all cases.

For the rebuild to keep things as light as possible, you can keep the same skinning technique for the outer walls, but when it comes to the shelf the fridge sits on, a couple of 1x1 cleats in the corners and one or two down each side increase strength significantly.

Looking at the construction of the island and the failures they have experienced, I see that the 18 gauge crown staples used for general construction along with the overlaid MDF and 1/8" sheeting can lead to issues. The staples do not have the necessary bending resistance and once they break the surface of the sheeting, it looses strength. Where needed, I have started adding under cleats to support loads to prevent failures such as yours.

Wise man once said, "there is never enough time or materials to do it right the first time if it's not yours". That being said, I know you will put more effort into making the fit and function your own. Hopefully GD can at least supply you the necessary materials so everything matches.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I understand your feelings regarding this poor build quality, but personally I'd rebuild the cabinet the way you want it, and attached the fridge to the floor of the cabinet the way it should have been from the start. Even if GD authorizes a rebuild by the dealer, I bet it won't be the way you would prefer it, and it will take weeks to get it done. I would push for the parts that were damaged to be sent to you, and hope for the best.

I would agree with Lonestar as I've had many other brands of campers and so far Grand Design is considerably ahead of the rest in quality and customer support. There have been a few items though even on my new Reflection that I wanted done better or differently, so I disassembled, rebuilt, upgraded to what I wanted and how I wanted it. In the end...that approach is WAY better than ever returning your unit to any dealer!
        40-year Camping Enthusiast
        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

If you are out of the GD 1 year warranty and are relying on the extended warranty GD is not involved in the extended warranty process, this is solely handled by your dealer. GD would supply the parts if ordered by your dealer. If your dealer has contacted GD under their warranty you can also contact GD to make sure your dealer is doing what they say, you will need your VIN for this. If you are still under the 1 year GD warranty and your dealer is not satisfying your needs GD may allow a mobile tech to take care of your issues.

I agree with the others above to take this matter into your own hands, if you have the tools a know how, you more than likely will be better satisfied with the results.

Hopefully you can get this all sorted out and back to enjoying the camper.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you everyone for your for your advice and words of encouragement.

Country Campers We are just out of the 1 year warranty but had a repair done to the face trim of this cabinet in the early spring so GD might be considering it part of the unresolved repair.
            They've offered us 3 options today.

1 Get it repaired at our dealer that can't get us in for 2 months.
            2 Take it to any dealer but camping world for repair.
            3 Get a mobile tech to come out and repair it.

COReflection I do finish carpentry, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, flooring for a living. Rebuilding this box is no big deal for me if I can get the matching parts. My concerns and thoughts...

Is it possible that I can get reimbursed for at least what a shop would be reimbursed for warranty work? Has anyone accomplished this?

As Jlawles2 suggested I'd upgrade all the framing materials. My concern is I'm not familiar with the construction of the RV and don't know what's behind the exterior walls etc.

As Lonestar mentioned I'm considering putting the fridge on the floor and turning the new space above the fridge into cabinet storage. Not excited about having the fridge so low to the ground so I haven't committed to this idea yet. My wife hates the idea but it makes the most sense in almost every way but convenience.

Another concern is that this is all on the slideout. Are there any considerations I should be taking into account that I might not have considered regarding this being on the slideout?

Thanks for this forum and for all of you being so active on it.
            2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

I do not think that you will get reimbursed for your own labor. GD may send you the face frame parts that you would need but you will have to talk to them about that.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hortstu I was a custom cabinet guy when in college. From what i can tell without tearing something completely down is the side panels are HOLLOW. They are constructed by laying 1/8" sheeting onto cleats that are crown stapled (i think 22 or 25 gauge) to cleats on the back of the facing materials. There are limited cleats / fire block type spacers between the sheets running horizontally to give something for the shelving cleats to be adhered to. There are very few locations where they use solid (not real plywood either) materials for making panel legs and such.

Basically you can take everything you know about residential / commercial stationary carpentry and burn it.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Hortstu View Post
                  Is it possible that I can get reimbursed for at least what a shop would be reimbursed for warranty work? Has anyone accomplished this?
                  I do know someone that has been able to get paid for their labor. They agreed before hand on a number and GD paid it. Not sure how common it is or if it was unique to their situation but I can say it has happened.
                  Jim & Heidi
                  2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                  2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Jlawles2 Lmao. Yes I removed the fridge so I can see what's going on. My kids have built things more structurally sound out of cardboard boxes! I don't want to repeat what they've done here. I want to start from almost scratch and only use the finish materials to get the same look as the rest of the kitchen. The framing I plan to make as strong as I can while still accounting for weight. Tempted to weigh this pile of scrap wood when I'm done demoing and compare it to what I install! My most significant concern is what's going on behind the outside wall. What is there to screw into and what is there to avoid! I'm going to pull the microwave and maybe the stove to make sure the left panel is totally secure.

JRKJR That's encouraging. I'm going to pitch it and see what happens. I have a guy I'm friendly with at the dealership. I'll ask him if he can tell me what the book hours are on a job like this. If I can get half their rate and hours I'll probably be doing better than I do at work! I'll let everyone know how that goes when I cross that bridge.

I'm going through the parts finder that's linked below the banner now. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these 2 maple panels?
                    https://legacy.granddesignrv.com/ifr...s-detail/56883
                    https://legacy.granddesignrv.com/ifr...s-detail/56884

One is labeled G2S?

Also trying to find the brownstone maple panel that goes on the front of my fridge. Not having any luck. It was damaged when the fridge fell out. Luckily a kayak broke the fall or the fridge and the counter top across from it would have been even more destroyed. I could probably salvage part of 1 of the existing panels but I think it might be too thick.
                    2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

Also I notice the fridge was not fastened to the shelf that it sat on in any way. The face trim was attached to the 3/4" square stock with only brads! The fridge was attached to that! Seems like a recipe for disaster. I've got to do better than that when I mount the fridge but don't have any ideas yet. The trim just seems to weak for that purpose no matter how I attach it to the rest of the RV.
                      2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

The panel on the front of the fridge may just be a piece of the normal panel used elsewhere. In home appliances you pull the edge trim off slide the panel in then put the trim back. I don't think it would be a vinyl decal or just the 1mm or so vernier.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X