21-G Momentum, Mattress Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21-G Momentum, Mattress Upgrades

Hi, my wife and I just purchased a 2020 21-G toy hauler a couple of weeks ago and are new to this site. We are wondering if anyone has upgraded the bedroom mattress, which is hard as a rock. If so, where did you purchase your mattress, were in Southern California? Also, what has anyone done for the Happy Jack couch/bed to make it more comfortable, so lumpy? We were thinking about a 2" to 3" memory foam mattress but storing it the trailer seems to be the problem for us!

Any and all ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jody and Libby
    2020 21-G Toy Hauler
    Jody and Libby
    2020 21-G Toy Hauler

Originally posted by jhadhome View Post
    Hi, my wife and I just purchased a 2020 21-G toy hauler a couple of weeks ago and are new to this site. We are wondering if anyone has upgraded the bedroom mattress, which is hard as a rock. If so, where did you purchase your mattress, were in Southern California? Also, what has anyone done for the Happy Jack couch/bed to make it more comfortable, so lumpy? We were thinking about a 2" to 3" memory foam mattress but storing it the trailer seems to be the problem for us!
    Welcome to the forum! I went ahead and added your info to the signature portion of your profile. Feel free to edit as you see fit (info in Welcome Letter linked off of the home page).

A great way to find information on this forum is...to NOT use this forum. (!) Seriously, using Google or DuckDuckGo to search but limiting the results to this forum will reward you with many, many threads to read.

Try this--enter mattress site:gdrvowners.com into your search engine of choice. In DuckDuckGo, I got the list below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-09 131703.png
Views:	132
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	130024

For the other issue, try alternate spelling like Happi site:gdrvowners.com​ when searching.

I hope that helps.

Again, welcome!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Jody & Libby

Welcome to our Grand Design owners Technical Forum. When your thought process gets to "We are wondering if anyone has . . . " (on just about any topic) the answer is yes and it is detailed on this forum. If you come up with a question that hasn't been answered . . . we work on those too .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The stock mattresses in travel trailers are simply place holders designed for aesthetic purposes only. Everyone usually buys their own mattress to suit their own needs.
        2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

the bedroom mattress is usually a stock size (at least most of them) Just measure it and find one you like.

For the happy jack, figure out what is making it lumpy. Is it a cross bar or something? Can you plywood the deck under the mattress to make it more uniform and add an in flatable mattress that you can deflate when raising so it works properly?
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jhadhome View Post

Any and all ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jody and Libby
            2020 21-G Toy Hauler
            We have a 21G and agree with you completely about the terrible mattresses.

We ended up getting 3"-4" toppers for the main bed, and both happi-jack beds. They seem to work well. The only issues is the extra bulk.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              the bedroom mattress is usually a stock size (at least most of them) Just measure it and find one you like.

For the happy jack, figure out what is making it lumpy. Is it a cross bar or something? Can you plywood the deck under the mattress to make it more uniform and add an in flatable mattress that you can deflate when raising so it works properly?
              The bed mattress is a "split" mattress with one half being thicker than the other. Makes it impossible to replace without some customization.

The happi-jack "bed" is made from the opposite benches folding into a bed. The lumpiness is the shape of the benches. We found toppers were the best solution for us.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
              X