21 bhe cut cubby into bunk wall into linen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 bhe cut cubby into bunk wall into linen

The 21bhe has a very skinny linen closet behind the shower that has no doors and you can barely fit anything in it and anything you can falls out don’t useless and space. so I was wanting to cut some cubbies on the bunk side into the linen just by cutting through the bunk wall and block it off on the linen side so it’s inclosed, so my kids can have cubbies like we have on our bed. Does anyone know what is in between that wall besides the studs. I planned on putting the cubbies as far back as possible just in between two studs, but wasn’t sure if there was any wiring running through there.

Not sure if there is any wiring in that area, that would be anybody's guess. If you really want to do this I would start with a small hole to have a look and go from there.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Davebrooke05 View Post
      Does anyone know what is in between that wall besides the studs. I planned on putting the cubbies as far back as possible just in between two studs, but wasn’t sure if there was any wiring running through there.
      For readers of this thread, below shows the location Davebrooke05 is referencing. (BTW, welcome to the forum!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	79
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	130498

Please keep in mind the response below is my best educated guess, based on what I can see in the Bath Walls drawing

The only impediment I can find is the vertical studs as shown below. To maintain the integrity of the wall consider building the kid's cubbies incorporating the studs (not cutting them).

What you're viewing below is a snip of the Bath Walls drawing GD made available to the moderators. Since you're new I'll repeat what's been written here many, many times--no--I cannot post the whole drawing per GD's direction. Sorry. They do allow us some discretion to post snippets, so I've done so.

Views:	58
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	130499

Note that some 21BHE's have an OSB backer in the wall, some do not. That's what the D triangle is communicating so you may or may not have to deal with it.

Views:	58
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	130500

The 12vDC lights and USB ports in the bunk area are in the ceiling, right?

Please take pictures and post the final results. The forum likes to see modifications! The power of an owners forum is sharing information.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is interesting. I am looking forward to seeing your results. I have the same bunk/bath configuration in my 2400BH. Those linen shelves are useless if stuff gets pushed to the back, especially on the top shelves.

Towards the front of (my) bunk wall there is wiring for the 120v plug, the two bunk lights, and the USB ports. When I removed one of the lights (to remove the bunk) I noted considerable excess wire looped in the wall cavity and I couldn't tell if it originated from the aft of the fixture, or not.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
          This is interesting. I am looking forward to seeing your results. I have the same bunk/bath configuration in my 2400BH. Those linen shelves are useless if stuff gets pushed to the back, especially on the top shelves.

Towards the front of (my) bunk wall there is wiring for the 120v plug, the two bunk lights, and the USB ports. When I removed one of the lights (to remove the bunk) I noted considerable excess wire looped in the wall cavity and I couldn't tell if it originated from the aft of the fixture, or not.

Mike
          Thanks for that input, Mike. As mentioned by Brian in post 2 (and reinforced by your firsthand experience) the OP should be very cautious and assume there's something that shouldn't be cut behind the panels.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Another random thought: if able, go up on the roof and see where the vents are located.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
            X