280RS cabinets next to sofa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280RS cabinets next to sofa

I saw a nice idea on Facebook, where people had changed the top of the cabinets on either side of the sofa on a 280RS into a hinged lid. "Just a few gentle taps" they said, and the cover is removed. I suppose that is possible, but the assembler of my cabinet used the stapler like he was a machine gunner, and the fake wood wrapped with plastic was half destroyed in removing the top. None of the staples could release from the alder top. The screws securing the cabinet frame were also not into studs, but just through the paneling, so they pulled out. If you do this, unless you are extremely lucky, you will need to rebuild your cabinet afterward.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4066.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	130932
    The bottom of the cabinet top is also not finished, so you will need something to make it presentable. The stain/finish I found was Behr custom tint stain/varnish "019- bold coffee". 3 coats was a good match.

I fastened a piece of piano hinge on the outside edge, and screwed it to the wall. Replaced the broken cabinet frame parts, and fastened with glue and nails. Touched up the new wood with the same stain.

The bottom floor was very thin, so I added some pieces of 2X4 on end to support the weight of liquor bottles that will live in this cabinet. I tacked them in place to the floor with hot glue, then shot a 18ga brad through the top of the flooring piece to hold them in place. We lined the bottom with a piece cut from a gym flooring to reduce noise.

Name:	IMG_4070.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	130941
    Will be adding a magnetic catch to hold the lid up while accessing.
    Last edited by steveluannj; 03-25-2024, 08:18 AM.
    2022 Reflection 280RS
    2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Do you have a completed picture?, and showing the hinge. I have been thinking about doing this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The magnetic latch I ordered came in, so I completed this project. Not sure I would have started had I known how the cabinet would be destroyed getting the top off, but it should work well now that it is done. Brian: It is hard to see the hinge- I got a black piano hinge from Home Depot and cut to fit. Screwed to the edge of the table top and to the wall. Be sure to leave a gap at the back so it does not scrap the wall when opening.

Name:	IMG_4106.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	131025 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4107.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	131026 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.6 KB