Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood panel behind tv (2800BH)

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but not to RV'ing or making modifications. I would like to mount a soundbar on the wood panel behind the TV (32" TCL in my 2019 2800BH). I measured the dimensions and all fits if I mount up high and TV can still fold in.

The thing I'm unsure of is if the wood is a thin sheet or actual particle board that I can screw into. I want to make sure it can handle the weight of the soundbar. If it is thin I can simply use anchors or wingnuts on the other side of the panel by accessing through the storage area behind the TV.

Anyway, if anyone knows that would be great! Mine is in storage and I don't have an easy way to check but I wanted to shop for the parts and install it on next trip. Look forward to browsing the forums and offering help to others where I can

-TF

Originally posted by daemonic3 View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum but not to RV'ing or making modifications. I would like to mount a soundbar on the wood panel behind the TV (32" TCL in my 2019 2800BH). I measured the dimensions and all fits if I mount up high and TV can still fold in.

The thing I'm unsure of is if the wood is a thin sheet or actual particle board that I can screw into. I want to make sure it can handle the weight of the soundbar. If it is thin I can simply use anchors or wingnuts on the other side of the panel by accessing through the storage area behind the TV.

Anyway, if anyone knows that would be great! Mine is in storage and I don't have an easy way to check but I wanted to shop for the parts and install it on next trip. Look forward to browsing the forums and offering help to others where I can

-TF
    Welcome to the forum! I can't specifically address your question, but from the content and tone of your first post you're going to enjoy this forum and I look forward to your contributions.

There's many 2800BH owners here, so hopefully someone will chime in with their .02 on your situation.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'll grab a picture of my 2017 tomorrow, but I believe it's thin board, with a 4 inch wide strip of plywood that the TV bracket mounts on.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Oh that would be great! My mounts will about 24 inches apart so definitely wont land on that strip of plywood. It sounds like I may need to use toggle bolts through the thin panel and orient the backside anchor vertically (manually orient them from the back side since I should have access). I think that will give me good strength. I believe the way the soundbar balances that most of the force will be shear (vertical) and not so much torque.

Comment

Oh that would be great! My mounts will about 24 inches apart so definitely wont land on that strip of plywood. It sounds like I may need to use toggle bolts through the thin panel and orient the backside anchor vertically (manually orient them from the back side since I should have access). I think that will give me good strength. I believe the way the soundbar balances that most of the force will be shear (vertical) and not so much torque.
          If you have access to the back of the paneling you could glue a piece of 1 x 4 on the back to make a better mount, add some staples or small nails to help secure. I am not sure if I would trust a toggle bolt with this "thin paneling".

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here you go. This a 2017 Imagine 2800BH. Two 1x4's on the right hand side. The rest of it is thin board, and I could flex it with my hand. It feels like it's very thin paneling. I don't think it would take a toggle bolt well.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
              Here you go. This a 2017 Imagine 2800BH. Two 1x4's on the right hand side. The rest of it is thin board, and I could flex it with my hand. It feels like it's very thin paneling. I don't think it would take a toggle bolt well.

Hmm, I can't seem to get the picture to load. It sounds like I will be dealing with the thin paneling though. If I put a board on back I will definitely need to stain it to match!

Comment

Sorry, I thought I had fixed the photos I posted, but I missed this one. It was the way I posted it.

I'm at a campground right now, and I can't seem to post from my phone
                Mike

Comment

It's ok! I got the trailer from storage to do some work on it, and went ahead with the mod.

I found that the right mounting bracket landed on the wood that the TV bracket uses. So only the left would mount on the paneling, so I went ahead with the mod. I used 1 inch wood screws on the right bracket and my toggle bolt idea on the left. I was able to use minimal holes for the toggle bolts and simply thread the flanges onto the back since I had access. In the pic my pilot holes came out a bit wonky on the backside but the 1 inch screws didn't poke through.

The soundbar is a vizio sb2821 and it sounds amazing. 28" width was one of the fewssoundbar options to fit behind the TV. And the sub fits perfect under the bench. I plan to finish the job tomorrow with some wire harnesses. I used the optical connection from the TV to the soundbar. I also had previously wired the TV aux out to the aux in2 on the jensen. So now I can have the soundbar with sub playing, plus the ceiling speakers (that I upgraded to 2way kickers).

First pic is behind the TV. 2nd pic shows the TV can still sit fully recessed. 3rd pic shows soundbar mounted. 4th pic shows the sub location under the bench behind the ac outlet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815_211028.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	27204Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815_211121.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	27205Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815_211144.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	27206Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815_211240.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	27207

Comment

Looks great.

Sorry for the bum picture.

Interestingly enough, I have the backing boards on the front of the thin wood, you have yours on the back. (Fixed picture attached)

I wonder what they tie into. I think instead of the toggle bolts, I would have put a 1x8 there (stained to match) on the back side, and made a sandwich. It would distrbuite the weight better, and match the factory for a seamless look.

Name:	2020-08-17 12_17_45-Clipboard.png
Views:	907
Size:	810.8 KB
ID:	27313
                    Mike

Comment

Oh wow! They changed from boards on front to boards on back. If I had your situation I definitely would have had to put a 2nd matching board and stained on the left just to make the mounting brackets coplanar.

The staining and matching backside wood was my backup plan (more effort/cost) if my proposal didn't pass inspection (the wife). I'm not worried about the weight (3.8 lb) since the way the brackets are designed it makes a lot of shear force and not all torque, and the soundbar is sucked on solid and doesn't even wobble. Highly recommend it for these models!

Thanks for the help and pics!

Comment

Oh I also notice something! It looks like your passthrough hole is on the right side under the TV and passes through to the open space? In mine the factory hole and grommet are on the left side going straight to the Jensen deck. I had to create a 2nd hole and grommet to pass through to the open space where we put our xbox or nintendo switch with an HDMI cable.

It also looks like your coax cable and power comes from the bottom through the passthrough to the TV?? Ours (AC power and cable) comes down from the top of the TV recess... Very subtle changes from year to year but it sure makes mods very model specific!

Comment

Oh I also notice something! It looks like your passthrough hole is on the right side under the TV and passes through to the open space? In mine the factory hole and grommet are on the left side going straight to the Jensen deck. I had to create a 2nd hole and grommet to pass through to the open space where we put our xbox or nintendo switch with an HDMI cable.

It also looks like your coax cable and power comes from the bottom through the passthrough to the TV?? Ours (AC power and cable) comes down from the top of the TV recess... Very subtle changes from year to year but it sure makes mods very model specific!
                          Very true. You have guessed my layout. I"ve made a basic diagram (Little easier than grabbing a photo at the moment)

Name:	2020-08-17 15_00_55-Clipboard.png
Views:	808
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	27337
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X