Wood stain available??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood stain available??

Emily, another question for you. I plan to lightly sand my dining table and add several coats of polyurethane to create a more durable surface. I suspect when I sand it, some of the stain will be removed. I will need to re-stain before the polyurethane.

Can I order stain from my dealer or can I get it directly from Grand Design? Or, would it possibly be a stain that I can get locally (MinWax, Varathane, etc.)?

Thanks for you help with our questions.
    2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

KirbyRVA I believe you can get it locally. We can )at times) provide the color for you, but we can not ship any type of liquids any longer. I will see if someone can get me your color code or some more info, but I will need your VIN.

Comment

KirbyRVA Wood stain will take differently to raw wood than it will to the same wood that has previously been finished and absorbed stain or a finish of any kind. It is quite likely that even the original stain will look quite different if reapplied to a previously finished surface. First choice would be to take the shine off the original finish without breaking through, before applying additional topcoats. Try a soft (dry) kitchen scrub pad for this. If you break through the original finish, some "experimenting" will be required. Get a set of furniture repair marker pens where one or a combination of a couple should come close to the original color.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello,
        I used a Scothchbrite pad to clean up my oak table that is stained with walnut color Minwax. It had some rings from wet glasses so I had to really scrub. After reapplying the stain it looks the same colour.

Regards,
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          KirbyRVA Wood stain will take differently to raw wood than it will to the same wood that has previously been finished and absorbed stain or a finish of any kind. It is quite likely that even the original stain will look quite different if reapplied to a previously finished surface. First choice would be to take the shine off the original finish without breaking through, before applying additional topcoats. Try a soft (dry) kitchen scrub pad for this. If you break through the original finish, some "experimenting" will be required. Get a set of furniture repair marker pens where one or a combination of a couple should come close to the original color.

Rob
          Rob, I plan to try that and if it works, I will be pleased. However, it has been my experience with thinly applied stain on softer woods, it is very easy to remove the color even with careful scuffing. If that happens, my plan would be to remove all the stain and start over. I would not expect an exact match but would like to get close. Looking at color chips at Home Depot, Varathane Kona seems to be very close but maybe not.
          2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by gdrv-emily View Post
            KirbyRVA i believe you can get it locally. We can )at times) provide the color for you, but we can not ship any type of liquids any longer. I will see if someone can get me your color code or some more info, but i will need your vin.
            vin 573SS4228K1112397
            2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Emily, still no info on the stain color??
              2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
                Emily, still no info on the stain color??
                Hello! I apologize for the delay in getting an answer for you on this. Emily and I have been out of the office last week with the Hershey Show going on. I did check around on this for you and found out that the manufacturer of the table will not disclose this information to us. The best word of advice we can give you is to source this locally at a Home Depot or some other type of home improvement store. You may have to mix a couple of stains to get the color you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  KirbyRVA Wood stain will take differently to raw wood than it will to the same wood that has previously been finished and absorbed stain or a finish of any kind. It is quite likely that even the original stain will look quite different if reapplied to a previously finished surface. First choice would be to take the shine off the original finish without breaking through, before applying additional topcoats. Try a soft (dry) kitchen scrub pad for this. If you break through the original finish, some "experimenting" will be required. Get a set of furniture repair marker pens where one or a combination of a couple should come close to the original color. Rob
                  Rob in addition to the very thin and easily-damaged surface on our table, part of the reason it needs re-finishing is that the grain of the wood has risen through the surface finish. We have patches totaling about 15-20 square inches of roughly-parallel lines of raised grain that are already "broken through" of their own accord, as well as numerous small marks where the inadequate finish has just chipped off in normal light use by adults. I was going to sand down the whole thing and start over - hoping at the same time to eliminate the ugly "burst" of black shading around the edge - but your warnings make me pause.

The wide color variations in the table make it likely that patching the many imperfections with even a few different-colored furniture repair marker pens would not produce a uniform color. How about black stain after a thorough sanding,... would that produce a uniform surface? Do you have any other ideas for this situation? Thanks.
                  Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                  X