Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged Floor / Slide Guide Torn Off ( '19 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Floor / Slide Guide Torn Off ( '19 315RLTS )

Due to TS Marco I pulled in the slides on my 315RLTS yesterday. To my surprise a "present" was left behind when I went to pull the slides back out. A part of the plastic guide attached to the bottom of the dinette slide caught on something and tore off. There's also minor damage to the floor due to the raw plywood scraping across it. It was fun removing the glue goo deposited on the floor, too. (The floor was meticulously cleaned and inspected prior to slide movement both times--there was nothing foreign on the floor.)

The spot shown in the pictures below is the aft side of the dinette slide. The guide I'll reference is crudely drawn on the floorplan below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	27866

Name:	Torn up floor 03 (Medium).jpg
Views:	608
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	27862

The picture below, looking at the slide from the side (looking forward) is trying to convey how the piece torn off was previously on the slide. The piece originally was part of an assembly that runs from the inside edge of the plywood to the outside edge of the slide on both edges. The purpose appears to be a "slide guide". These guides are screwed on the exterior side and glued to the plywood all the way to the interior.

Name:	Goes Here.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	27864

I'm holding the piece back where it came from below.

Name:	Torn up floor 09 (Medium).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	27863

I ordered Lippert Slide Out Slickers and will use them in the future.

Name:	Slide Out Slickers.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	27865
    I really don't know what the slide guide caught on. I inspected under and around the slide with it in and out and could not find anything definitive or even suspicious. I can only speculate the incredibly hot weather recently caused the guide to adhere to the exterior and when the slide was brought in instead of sliding on the guide it ripped. But that's conjecture. Even if true, I don't know how to avoid it.

If anyone has any ideas, opinions, or similar experiences that could explain why this happened I'd like to read it.

I'll follow up when I try the slickers.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

It could have been an adhesive failure, Howard. We had the entire "ski" on the front edge of the dinette slide come loose. It wormed its way inside about 5" and was pushing up on the corner of the vinyl flooring on the slide (that's how I noticed it). Puling the slide in a few inches and taking some weight off that end, I used two different adhesives to glue the ski back in place. So far, so good. We were also getting a few skid marks on the floor from slide travel - ordered and modified some Slide Out Slickers and now use them to prevent that issue.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I wondered if that part of the plastic ski sits on or near the edge of the hard plastic (HDPE?) the slide glides on.
      But it looks like your break isn't that close to where the HDPE sits at the edge of the floor and inward a few inches.

Name:	RH Rear Slide Ski at Floor HDPE Edge.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	27881
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I have seen the Lippert Slide Out Slickers mentioned several times. How do they install? Are they always left in place or removed after the slide is extended? They apparently were designed to protect carpet, but the pictures I see posted indicate they are being used with vinyl flooring.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
          I have seen the Lippert Slide Out Slickers mentioned several times. How do they install? Are they always left in place or removed after the slide is extended? They apparently were designed to protect carpet, but the pictures I see posted indicate they are being used with vinyl flooring.
          A demo of the Slide Slickers in use (in my 315RLTS):

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

No installation required. They are just laid down on the floor prior to bringing the slide in. There is a lip on one end for use with a specific type of slide. I just scored the lip with a utility knife and broke it off cleanly for use with my vinyl flooring and flush slide.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks, the video explains all. I haven't had any issues with my slide but this looks like good insurance. It would only take one time for a malfunction to mar the vinyl.

The cost is certainly cheap enough, but wouldn't something like a piece of counter top laminate or anything thin work just as well?
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Thanks, the video explains all. I haven't had any issues with my slide but this looks like good insurance. It would only take one time for a malfunction to mar the vinyl.

The cost is certainly cheap enough, but wouldn't something like a piece of counter top laminate or anything thin work just as well?
                Absolutely. There's several threads on the forum along those lines. I took the easy path and purchased a pre-made solution.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                X