King to queen modification 2020 Solitude S bunkhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King to queen modification 2020 Solitude S bunkhouse

How do I modify my King bed down to a queen - would like more room to move on the curbside bedroom. Thought I seen a post about this before.

Originally posted by Gbarker View Post
    How do I modify my King bed down to a queen - would like more room to move on the curbside bedroom. Thought I seen a post about this before.
    I did it. Only tricky part was the gas-filled lift struts. Very powerful and difficult to control under tension. Took quite a bit of man-handling as I did the job by myself. Recommend you enlist a partner when you get to the struts.
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Gbarker View Post
      We've gone only half-way, replacing the junk factory mattress with a good-quality foam queen but not (yet) cutting the platform on which the mattress rests.

The platform sticks out beyond the mattress by several inches on both sides... not very comfortable. I left it that way because subsequent owners of our trailer might prefer a king as many do (resale value). It would be a really simple task to cut off most of the extra width on both sides with a circular saw - it extends WELL past the frame that supports it underneath. I'm not sure how many more scuffed legs it will take before I do that.

Per steve&renee point about the struts, we haven't had to do anything to ours. Our queen mattress is quite a bit heavier on a per-square-foot basis than the junk factory mattress, and we've left the platform intact which retains that weight. We haven't found the struts to be either too strong or too soft - in fact the effort of raising and lowering the bed seems similar. The struts are attached to the platform well in-board of the point at which you might cut down the platform. Steve makes a good point though, YMMV.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
      X