Medicine cabinet and wall tile install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine cabinet and wall tile install

SWMBO felt that we needed medicine cabinets and a backsplash addition. We contacted a highly reccomended woodsmith and he came out to see what we wanted. We told him what we wanted and sketched it out for him. We have had one conversation with him since I guess he got too busy or Covid and we haven't heard from him since. I found these at Homeless Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...5411/302968003 She had already gotten a pack of the stick on tiles from Amazon when we began this project.
    The first things was clearing the counter and then removing the corner shelves. Then the left one seem to be just a tad bit to attatched. Six large screws from the other side of the Luan attached to be specific. Once those were deiliver to the otherside, it popped right off. Next came the trimming and placement of the tiles, which wasn't hard but fairly tedious with all of the measure three times and mark stuff. I used blue painters tape to give me clear mark to use and large utility shears to cut. Once I had gone as far as I could with the tiles, Kelly picked the placement for the cabinets. I used slightly shorter screws to compensate for the thinner material in the medicine cabinet and hit the same studs in the walls, but need to sturdy them up a little (a lot if I can) to spread out the load. Overall, Kelly's corner is a big improvement and appears that it will be a big difference once the cabinets are more secure. Once I get her cabinet secured it will be time to finish, and that leaves me with,
    patch and smooth those holes,
    finish the tile,
    remount my cabinet,
    a small bead of silicone on the counter where the tile meets,
    and lastly install new trim when I find it.

So, a busy and pretty productive day ends. Click image for larger version  Name:	Out w the old.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	56684Click image for larger version  Name:	Big screw holes.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	56685Click image for larger version  Name:	Kelly's corner 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	56686d

OKAY... Tired and not thinking,, can somebody move this to the interior channel please?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 06-07-2021, 06:21 AM.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Okay, time to poll the audience.... In the corners where the tile meets the wall, what do y'all think about 11/16 cone molding stained in the Java color rather than the flat wall paper covered flat trim? It's more easily obtainable and will break up the transition. I'm also having a problem with the tile sheets adhereing so I am also gonna have to redo with an adhesive.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells
      Hi Jerry,

Did you consider bringing the tile around the corner on to the wall with the medicine cabinet? Then a bead of silicone in the corner would join one tiled wall to the adjacent one. I have heard of others having problems getting vinyl tile sheets to stick to the wallpaper. It almost has a non-stick surface. A “stick to anything” paint primer on the wallpaper first would probably solve this.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        ThePowells
        Hi Jerry,

Did you consider bringing the tile around the corner on to the wall with the medicine cabinet? Then a bead of silicone in the corner would join one tiled wall to the adjacent one. I have heard of others having problems getting vinyl tile sheets to stick to the wallpaper. It almost has a non-stick surface. A “stick to anything” paint primer on the wallpaper first would probably solve this.

Rob
        We talked about it, but I'm not sure about how to finish the edge on the left wall to make that edge of the tile to make it look better than just having the plain edge.
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
        X