Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet Catches -- Why Different? Any Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Catches -- Why Different? Any Options?

Below is a picture of the hutch in my 2019 315RLTS. In the drawers are two different types of catches to hold them shut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hutch.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	6153

The left drawer has the CATCH FRICTION BLK PLASTIC DRS & DRWRS.

Name:	Catch.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	6155

The right drawer has a CATCH DOUBLE ROLLER DOORS & DRWRS.

Name:	Latch.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	6154

Question #1: Why the different catches in drawers in the same hutch installed right next to each other?

Neither of these catches, installed throughout my trailer, have proven themselves reliable. I've had two of the friction catches break and at least one of the double-roller catches that doesn't have enough umph to hold the drawer shut.

Name:	JR.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	6156

Question #2: While at my dealership recently I bought the JR Products double rollers (pic above). Are there any other options out there that you've tried and that have proven themselves as a solid replacement?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson
    Hi Howard,

Grand Design seems to use the more positive latching plastic part on cabinets and drawers that could be caught by an opening slide and the (cheaper) double roller version where something that opens during travel is not likely to interfere with a slide.

I have not had much luck with the more expensive plastic latches. They seem to latch more securely when they work, but are prone to breakage. If the spring loaded lever in the action part of the latch gets bumped closed and then the door/drawer is closed after, it will break the latch.

The tension of the metal double roller latch can be increased by using a straight blade screwdriver to spread the part that inserts between the rollers. I have replaced a single plastic latch with two double roller latches to get about the same retention.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      They seem to latch more securely when they work, but are prone to breakage. If the spring loaded lever in the action part of the latch gets bumped closed and then the door/drawer is closed after, it will break the latch.
      I was told my my dealer that the black plastic latches are what's used on Winnebago motor homes and that they provided a more secure latch, so I started replacing the metal ones that came with my 2018 Solitude. In my experience the plastic ones are indeed more secure, but we had one get bumped closed and though it didn't break, I did foul up the latch mechanism so it wouldn't open properly again.

I, too, would like to hear about a more effective drawer/cabinet latch for an RV -- and I still want to know the best way to align the two latch halves during installation.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
      X