Kennels in the Front Closet of a 2019 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennels in the Front Closet of a 2019 315RLTS

I did this modification back in February of this year. I've posted about it elsewhere so some of you have seen it before. However, for those that are new I want to share it here, too.

Let me first explain the "why". I haven't mentioned it much on this forum, but a primary focus of mine it to minimize the logistics involved with camping. I want to enjoy the time, not spend it constantly rearranging the configuration of the camper.

Each night I'd get the dog kennels out from under the bed, unfold them, and set them up between the washer and dryer in the front storage area. Every morning I'd collapse them and put them back under the bed. (The washer and dryer doors hit the kennels making the appliances inaccessible, so the kennels had to get put away.) This project eliminated all that work.

This first picture is a stock photo of the 315RLTS' front closet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	01 Kennel.JPG Views:	0 Size:	192.9 KB ID:	7002

This is what it looked like after tearing out the shelving.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	02 Kennel.JPG Views:	0 Size:	227.2 KB ID:	7003

The next picture shows the box I made to fit in the space made by removing the OEM shelves. I cut out the OEM paneling at the back of the space from the upper shelf to the floor. I didn't take a picture, but when I was done you could see a big space and the white insulation just behind the cap. There's a good deal of empty space back there! When I made the new box the angle of the side panels was different from the OEM since the new bottom shelf is 6" deeper than the original but the top meets the original, retained top shelf. (I hope that makes some sense.) The new paneling is the same material as peg board but without the holes. Easy to manipulate and nail to the box. The box itself was assembled using Kreg joiners and screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	02a Kennel.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	7004

The next two pictures show how I modified the kennels by cutting some of the metal away to get them to go as far back as possible. Note the kennels are 24" deep, thus I made the bottom shelf 24" deep (and it all fit).

Click image for larger version  Name:	03 Kennel.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	7005

Here's the finished product. The kennels are permanently mounted and the washer and dryer are accessible. Having traveled with this configuration for almost a year, I can say without any hesitation it is one of the better mods I've done to my trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04 Kennel.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.9 KB ID:	7006
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 05:59 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Very nice, Howard! The pups look very comfortable. The closet is where we've put the kennel as well, but since we don't have the W/D it just sits in the middle of the floor.
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post
      Very nice, Howard! The pups look very comfortable. The closet is where we've put the kennel as well, but since we don't have the W/D it just sits in the middle of the floor.
      Brody (the poodle) likes his kennel. Little P(rincess), the pomeranian, definitely does not like hers--she'd prefer to sleep on our bed but that's not gonna happen.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

That really came out nice Howard. Funny but I don't even remember seeing your dogs!
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
          That really came out nice Howard. Funny but I don't even remember seeing your dogs!
          We didn't have them with us at the rally, we left them with their "other Mother" (my oldest daughter) so we could go for long motorcycle rides and tour the AF Museum without worrying about getting back to the camper to let dogs out to go potty. We missed the pups, but it was the best thing for them (and us).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Not using crates does require some "negotiation" at bed time . . .

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Not using crates does require some "negotiation" at bed time . . .

Rob
              I think majority rules.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X