Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closet door travel strap upgrade on 337RLS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet door travel strap upgrade on 337RLS.

I am curious if any other GD owners have this problem so I will post my solution and see what you Gents and Gals think.

When we have returned from out last two trips we noticed that one or both of the straps that hold the closet doors from sliding while we are traveling have come undone from the doors. So I decided to remove them and design a new style holder that are a more positive method to hold the doors from banging around. I wiped up this design in tinerkcad and printed it out with my 3d printer. I have yet to test them out but will we have a trip planned for the later part of this week and can't wait to see how they do. What I like about them is the positive way they hold the door from sliding and unless they snap in half should work better on the doors. When we get to our destination you simply remove the locking clip and fold the bracket around behind the wall. I also glued some felt inside the U of the bracket to cradle the door in softness and not wear on the wood stain surface. I would love to get feedback from other owners about this fix/mod. If you are interested in my model files I would be willing to share those with anyone on the forum.

<--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
    2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
    2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Originally posted by WRingling View Post
    I am curious if any other GD owners have this problem so I will post my solution and see what you Gents and Gals think.

When we have returned from out last two trips we noticed that one or both of the straps that hold the closet doors from sliding while we are traveling have come undone from the doors. So I decided to remove them and design a new style holder that are a more positive method to hold the doors from banging around. I wiped up this design in tinerkcad and printed it out with my 3d printer. I have yet to test them out but will we have a trip planned for the later part of this week and can't wait to see how they do. What I like about them is the positive way they hold the door from sliding and unless they snap in half should work better on the doors. When we get to our destination you simply remove the locking clip and fold the bracket around behind the wall. I also glued some felt inside the U of the bracket to cradle the door in softness and not wear on the wood stain surface. I would love to get feedback from other owners about this fix/mod. If you are interested in my model files I would be willing to share those with anyone on the forum.

Wayne--please post again once this design proves itself (after towing, etc). At that point I'll add it to the Modifications channel, OK? (Very cool that you can 3D print! Another in a long list of things I'd love to learn how to do.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think it's a great design. For those that can't 3d print, you could get a Metal hasp, and weld a small round rod on it bent into the shape Wayne designed.

Again, great concept, very simple, but should be more than robust enough.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I'd like to report that after our 120 mile trip down MD and VA roads (Route 81) the new door latches worked great. I think with 240 miles under their belt I can call them good to go. I have added another picture of the assemblies before I installed them.

I hope to get some time over the holidays to post some of the other projects that I have finished up on the rv over the last few months. Is there a good place to post TV mods that are focused on making our tow vehicles more enjoyable?
        <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
        Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
        2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
        2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

WRingling

Wayne,

You could post the tow vehicle mods in the "non technical" channel.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X