Front storage bay on Solitude higher in the middle to lock does not catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front storage bay on Solitude higher in the middle to lock does not catch

Just bought a used 2018 Solitude 310GK. REALLY like the trailer but I was locking the exterior storage doors and the low front door would not lock.
    The lock mechanism turned OK but for some reason it did not catch.
    After looking and measuring a little, I found that the center of that door opening was 1/4" taller than the sides. I kind of assume whomever owned this before put something heavy, e.g. a bank of batteries, in this bay and bent the bottom of the trailer down a little over time. The bay is empty now but there are two long, unattached wires with a 10A fuse that reaches the center of the bay as well as scratches in the floor. All the knockouts in the metal base plate are in place so I don't think there was a generator in there.

My initial thought is to simple bend some metal to make a new latch that is long enough to catch.
    An alternative would be to thread a metal rod from the top to the bottom of the center of the bay opening and maybe(?) pull the bottom of the bay back to the same height as the edges.

Wondering if others have seen this problem and suggestions as to what to do? Thanks!
    2018 Ram 3500 SRW short bed w Aisin transmission & Companion RVK3670 slider
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK bought used 2022-01

I've seen it on other things not just campers. you can look online for a longer lock bar, or fabricate one.

https://mrlock.com/part-flat-cam-3-c...8aAuJ_EALw_wcB is an example, cut to length.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I bent a longer piece of soft steel to about the same shape as the original. Drilled a hole and filed it square with a triangular file. Seems to work. It at least locks now.
      'll try and do something more permenant (or not) when the weather is warmer.
      I was also thinking about pulling the bottom of the trailer up by the 1/4", I could run some wire cable top to bottom of the compartment with a turnbuckle in the middle to get tension. Have to investigate what is ABOVE the front compartment before doing that though.
      Thanks for the suggestion.
      Last edited by jcschultz01; 01-19-2022, 04:56 PM.
      2018 Ram 3500 SRW short bed w Aisin transmission & Companion RVK3670 slider
      2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK bought used 2022-01

Comment

Working...
      X