Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the island countertop secured?

Hi folks!

So, we had an unfortunate surprise when we went out to check on our 303 in storage in February. The island countertop developed a crack in the solid surface which I can only attribute to thermal expansion/contraction and perhaps a defect in the solid surface material or when the sink opening was routed out. It was really cold here for a few weeks in December (-35 C).

Happily, Grand Design has once again come through and sent me a replacement countertop.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I will be changing this out. My question... does anyone know how the countertop is fastened to the cabinet? I am guessing some type of silicone between the top of the cabinet and the countertop? The countertop does have a wood backer on it but I do not see any mechanical fasteners (other than for the sink). In my mind I am heading out with an oscillating tool and carefully cutting between the countertop and the cabinet. But if there is something I am missing on this please let me know!

I did a forum search but haven't come up with any info. Apologies if I have missed something.

Cheers!

Ken
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Hi Ken & Sandra,

In our 2015 303RLS, there are wooden strips stapled the to the top edges of walls of the island and Robertson head screws up through these strips into the wooden underlay of the counter top. I don't see any signs of glue or other sealer . . . I think you just have to remove the screws.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Ken & Sandra,

In our 2015 303RLS, there are wooden strips stapled the to the top edges of walls of the island and Robertson head screws up through these strips into the wooden underlay of the counter top. I don't see any signs of glue or other sealer . . . I think you just have to remove the screws.

Rob
      Thanks Rob! That would be brilliant! Let's hope that's the case. I will report back what I find when I get out there.

Cheers!
      Ken & Sandra

Comment

Got some warmer weather yesterday and was able to get out the rig to deal with the countertop.

Just to close this out, Rob's Cate&Rob description was spot on. About 8 or 10 Robertson screws holding the countertop from underneath. Also as expected, the sink had a small amount of silicone sealant around the edge but was attached to the underside of the countertop with mechanical fasteners.

All in all a very simple job made more time consuming by the need to contort yourself into small, upside-down working spaces!

Ken

Ken & Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X