Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on Peeling Vinyl Back in 380FL (or 382WB) Living Room - Poorly Anchored Subfloor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Peeling Vinyl Back in 380FL (or 382WB) Living Room - Poorly Anchored Subfloor

Hi all,

I have a 380FL and I am trying to peel up the vinyl floor in the living room, but am running into trouble trying to figure out how the trim pieces (circled in the attached photo) are anchored.

Apologies that you can’t see behind the couch on the left, but you can clearly see it on the right and it’s the exact same on the left. It’s the carpet-covered piece below the slide that the spring and all of the wires are attached to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3245D4B-FC85-48FC-BB16-EAB95704D5A7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	81207

Trying to peel up the floor because I have screws protruding from beneath (marked with the blue painters tape in the attached photo) and a general spongy feeling to the subfloor up next to the fireplace.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Brian

Attached Files
    Last edited by B380; 04-04-2022, 03:58 AM.

Hi Brian,

Typically, the flooring goes down first, before anything (even the walls) is attached to the RV. So, the flooring is under everything. Even if you pull back surrounding trim, you would have to cut the vinyl. The vinyl is usually only glued around the perimeter. Would the pattern of the flooring allow you to make small slits at the protruding screws to refasten them and then glue the vinyl back together? Just and idea . . . I have never tried this.

The bigger question is . . . why is the floor flexing enough to pop these screws and why is it spongy close to the fireplace? There may be something more significant going on.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you for the response!

Luckily in my unit it appears the flooring seems only to butt up to the wall instead of being under it, at least in the living room. There's quarter round trim that covers it, and the two areas I'm trying to remove. Then up at the front at the fireplace it's only overlapped by the wood there about 1/4". Nonetheless, I thought about making slits, but then I won't have the opportunity to diagnose any further issues.

You're absolutely right on a potential underlying issue. and that's my biggest fear. When I first got the unit I noticed the creaky/spongy floor during the PDI. My hope is that they just didn't fasten it down enough and there's no other issue. Knock on wood. But, to make such an assessment I need to get under that floor. I'm going to rip the carpet out today to see if I can find anything beneath it, but I already ran a pretty strong magnet across it yesterday so I'm not too optimistic. We'll see.

Thank you again for your response, Rob!

Brian

Comment

Working...
      X