Right Front Jack Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Front Jack Fault

Hi- we have already had to replace our left front Jack due to a catastrophic failure of the mechanical Jack gear inside it - Thant happened a few months ago. Now our other landing gear - right front - is faulting. The faulting happens during auto level as well as during a manual up down movement. When the Jack faults it will not move no matter what command we use - retract all, raise front, lower front, etc. what we found is that we can unplug the harness from the 1 control unit in the front bay and hot wire it to force the Jack to move. Then we can plug it back in and use the up down controls to force it thru the cycle of at least 6in extended and then all the way back up and home. Even after doing this however the Jack often faults again. The position of the Jack is typically 2-3” down when it faults but it faults in other positions also. We are 1000 miles from home on the road.

If I could diagnose the issue and order a part we could likely arrange service. But being on the road this is challenging to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mark & Julie
    2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

It sounds as if the stroke sensor is failed or failing. By chance if you still have the old jack you might be able to rob the stroke sensor out of it for a road repair.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TheMcLellans View Post
      If I could diagnose the issue and order a part we could likely arrange service. But being on the road this is challenging to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.
      Suggest calling Lippert on Monday. They will likely be able to accurately pinpoint the issue and advise on part or component replacement.

https://support.lci1.com/contact

Don't forget there's always the manual override option.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	240
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	117856

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        It sounds as if the stroke sensor is failed or failing. By chance if you still have the old jack you might be able to rob the stroke sensor out of it for a road repair.
        I do have the other drive unit - can you direct me to the strike sensor ?
        Mark & Julie

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Suggest calling Lippert on Monday. They will likely be able to accurately pinpoint the issue and advise on part or component replacement.

https://support.lci1.com/contact

Don't forget there's always the manual override option.
          I think I can stop at a GD dealer - see if they can help but I will also call Lippert. Tried the manual override but under load it was impossible to move.
          Last edited by howson; 08-07-2023, 06:02 AM. Reason: REmoved pic from quote to make it easier to read reply.
          Mark & Julie

Comment

If you have the old motor and it worked you could just replace the motor to see if that fixes the problem. I would not remove the motor unless you support the RV, truck or blocking. The motor is connected to a gear box that has a gear set in it that may have become damaged or broken causing you to not be able to use the manual drive portion, or you are having the same issue as the other side had previously.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would suspect the stroke sensor is buried in the leg. There could be a hall effect sensor on the motor itself and the leveling program counts the revolutions to determine the stroke.

As suggested you can try changing the motor only and see if the issue goes away. It it imperative that you support the trailer as the motor may provides enough mechanical resistance to prevent the jack from back driving the screw. I know when the tire exited the hub on the previous 5er, the jack would hold position without load but did walk itself down on the travel home with the bouncing down the road. Something that does not seem to happen when the motor is present.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have had one of the front jack legs apart and there is no sensor inside. The motor may have a sensor but I am not sure about that.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TheMcLellans View Post
                  Tried the manual override but under load it was impossible to move.
                  Maybe a mechanical issue inside the jack? I suspect the entire component will require replacement. The manual override should turn (relatively) easily with the "problem" being it takes a zillion turns to get the jack up or down due to the gear ratio.

Country Campers -- by any chance do you have a picture of the override gears (on the one you have in pieces)? Just curious...

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So after many conversations and two techs - the decision is to replace the entire jack - so off to Duluth where we found some one to order the $800 jack and install it !
                    Mark & Julie

Comment

Now that Both jacks have been replaced- leveling is working fine.
                      Mark & Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X