Norcold 1210 Fridge Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 1210 Fridge Fans

While looking into installing external cooling fans onto the upper access panel, I noticed the thermal switch and factory installed fans (not running). I jumpered the switch and they started as expected. Is there any reason to not run these fans all of the time? I ask this after already having cut up the wiring and bypassing the switch lol. But I don't see a negative to have more airflow back there. After all, I was going to install fans anyway.

Thanks!
    2018 Reflection 311BHS
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CCSB Duramax

mbreener

One downside I can think of is the power consumption, but that's only an issue if you boondock. The fans draw .4A each, so .8 with both running. Doing the math, that .8 amps per hour, or .8aH. Overnight (12 hours) that's almost 10aH.

A typical lead-acid battery will have 50aH available for use. (Best practice is to recharge at the 50% state of charge for a lead-acid.)

So just to run those two fans overnight (12 hours) it will consume about 20% of the usable battery.

The other possible "gotcha" is if it's cold outside. Absorption refrigerators, if they are too cold the cooling system may not work right. As noted in the Norcold service manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	170
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	109890

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for your input, Howard. I didn't really consider power draw seeing as I don't usually boon dock. I will keep an eye on it though when it's cold to make sure it's doing its job.
      2018 Reflection 311BHS
      2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CCSB Duramax

Comment

Working...
      X