4 Door Dometic Refrigerator - left lower door no longer closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Door Dometic Refrigerator - left lower door no longer closing

I have a Dometic 4 door refrigerator RM1350SLMX. The 2 screws at the top of flipper have come out so the flipper will not close without manual intervention. Any suggestions on how to retap these screws or fix this problem. I hope i don't have to replace the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic 4 door refrigerator top flipper screws.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	115074

Looking at the damage, you almost have nothing to loose in trying to repair.

1st thing would be to remove the intermediate door seal (AKA the Flipper and yes I just made up that really technical name). Once you have the flipper out. using a gentle amount of heat, persuade the broken tab out of the way.

Now for the fun and tricky part. You will need to fish (technical term here) some form of reinforcement into the small opening. I would try a piece 2-3X longer than the opening and just slightly narrower. I suggest 1/16 - 1/8" aluminum plate for it's strength, semi corrosion resistance, and ease to drill / work.

Mark the center of the plate splitting the long direction. Now for the FUN part. I suggest starting with a slightly curved piece with the high point of the curve toward the inside of the hole, this is to facilitate keeping the end against the plastic frame. Shove the piece into the opening just far enough that the trailing end enters the hole. You may need to drill a couple of hole or pre shove the piece in the wrong side first to make room for it to be back tracked until your line is in the middle of the opening. Using quick set epoxy or hot glue secure the piece (this is temporary).

Now you are free to drill a couple of holes in the AL and insert the screws after using heat to persuade the torn piece back into position.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Not sure if this is the same situation you are facing, but on my home fridge, the mulleron assembly hinge had pulled loose from the fridge and wouldn't actuate anymore without manual intervention. To repair, I got some JB Weld WaterWeld epoxy, and put that into each stripped hole. Once set, I just screwed into that material. Again, not sure if your situation is similar, but it might work for you.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Evidently behind these 2 screws is insulation foam. Is it possible to remove those 2 screws drill two small holes all the way through and attach the white piece with two nuts and bolts? Would that not keep the white piece with the screws from separating from the door? I think the white door insert is shot anyway

Comment

Working...
        X