Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan external refrigerator fan install

Hi all,

I just finished a fan project on my camper. I bought 2 of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6T1LLMX...roduct_details I really like the long slim design. What I don't like is that the intake and output vents are on adjoining sides, and the mounting threads are on the other 2 adjoining sides. You are supposed to mount it to the inside of the vent cover, so no matter how you would turn them the output would be facing inside. If the vents and mounting were on opposing sides and there were mounts on all sides you would really be able to direct air where you wanted. I think this is less than ideal, so I modified the installation from their instructions.

For the bottom blowing in, I did mount it to the outside vent cover, turned in the direction suggested in their instructions. I did not use their mounting hardware, however. I have it connected directly to the vent. This is because I am already running into a heat shield inside and the mounting hardware would have added over a quarter inch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230814_130220.jpg Views:	14 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	118649 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230814_130213.jpg Views:	13 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	118650

For the top blowing out, I made brackets so I could turn the output fan 90 degrees from how they would have it installed given their instructions. They would have the air blowing up (and therefore into the inside space). Mine is blowing out, and sucking air directly from the cooling fins. I leveraged the existing wooden baffle in my unit to mount it and direct airflow. I believe this worked out well. I can really feel the hot air blowing out.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230814_134033.jpg Views:	14 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	118651

For power I tapped into the white wire with the red/orange stripe. For ground I used a post to the right that had numerous other grounds connected to it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230814_124941.jpg Views:	14 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	118652

On the inside of the camper on the fridge wall I drilled a larger hole with the intent of covering it with a grommet. The larger hole allowed me to work a wire fish from front to back to pull the wires. The hole didn't cut as cleanly as I hoped, so there is some rough material around the grommet. I likely will do something more to clean this up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230814_140207.jpg Views:	13 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	118653

As for the thermostat wire, I have it hanging below the cooling fins. I've had this project in my mind for over a year and I always thought I would just put a manual switch on the inside for when we see that the fridge isn't keeping up with the heat. This controller does allow for manual switching. I haven't tried the thermostat function yet. If I use the thermostat, I'm not sure of the best place to mount the wire? Is right below the fins a good spot? Mount it to a fin somehow?

Overall it wasn't too bad of a project with the exception of how difficult it was to pull the wire. Going from inside to outside was tough because of insulation. Getting from top to bottom was also hard due to the existing fans, wires, pipes and coils, etc. It took a lot of trial and error.​
    Last edited by Timmer; 08-15-2023, 07:37 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS

Timmer -- added the modification tag to your thread. Thanks for posting!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Timmer for this post. I almost went the direction of that Titan model, but selected a slim 140mm dual fan model instead - found an amazon warehouse deal.

This is installed on my 377MBS, with a Norcold 2118 fridge.

Titan 140mm cooling fan

Click image for larger version  Name:	fans installed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.7 KB ID:	134106

I used the provided clips to attach the fans on one side to the grill. Diagonal cutters will open up the clip just a bit so it engages the grill. Zip ties held the other side in place.

The fans are backwards in this picture - figured out after I hooked them up what direction they blow. 🙄

Click image for larger version  Name:	fan install.png Views:	0 Size:	853.3 KB ID:	134107

One benefit of these fans is they are pretty thin - they fit easily between the grill and the back of the fridge. These are on the upper grill, blowing outward.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thin fan.png Views:	0 Size:	829.1 KB ID:	134108

The controller will stay mounted in the fridge bay for now, set on auto. It is powered from the 12V fridge circuit through these Wago connectors. I'd like to put in a better set of terminals in the future. This bay has seen some moisture in its past, but dry now. I need to give it some love.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fan controller.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.3 KB ID:	134109
      Last edited by BWSTGDS; 05-14-2024, 11:35 AM.
      Jeff & Janice
      2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Pulled with an upgraded 2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3​

Comment

Working...
      X