Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorCold 2118 fan

Hello all,
    Just wanted to throw this on here with my fix with the common fan failure of the NorCold 2118.
    While setting up my fridge was making loud thumping sound. I pulled the bottom cover off and noticed the bottom fan was not running (Small One). I shut the fridge down and tried to turn the fan and noticed it was binding. I thought maybe something such as dirt got on it, so I unscrewed it from the fridge to inspect. What fell down was the impeller of the top larger fans, see picture. I did not know there were other fans mounted up high on the fridge. I pulled the top cover off and could see i could get to the fans and unscrew them from the mount. The problem is that you can't get to the wiring connection with the baffle in the way. I read on the forums where people have cut the baffle out of the way to get access and others have pulled the fridge out. I decided to carefully cut out the baffle so I could reinstall it. I could get to the wiring connection, but at the limit of my reach. After making many calls, I found a replacement, tho the wires needed to be modified.
    After attempting to reinstall for an hour, I decided that I also needed to move the fridge so I would have more room. (NorCold has the connections on the middle of the fridge) After making a few calls I found out how to remove the top and bottom trim, that's right, just pull till you think they will break, and they will snap loose. I removed the 8 screws on the inside and 4 screws on the outside and was able to move the fridge 4 inches.
    I reinstalled the baffle using a 1/2" x 1" board because I know I will get a chance to do this again. (see picture)

Hope this helps someone else.
    "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
    2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
    2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

That looks like a 100mm or 120mm computer fan.

That is one odd failure of the motor.

If I ever pull the fridge out, the baffle is getting modified so it completely covers the hole and 4 or 6 fans get screwed to it PULLING the air up and out.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I can see why they do this. They are mounted flat with the impeller facing down. If the impeller was up, there would be less chance of failure.
      "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
      2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
      2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
      2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

FYI. Typically if you look at the edge of the fan there is a set of arrows moulded somewhere. These arrows are proper rotation and air flow. the CUP of the fan should be on the downstream side.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
        X