Built in WiFi booster on 2020 Momentum 351M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in WiFi booster on 2020 Momentum 351M

Hi. This is concerning the WiFi booster. I'm hoping to tap some knowledge that I don't have about this device from some of you more technical people. I have activated the "One Control" and can operate systems from my I-Phone. That's an accomplishment for me. I'm trying to figure out how to boost nearby WiFi using the device that's located on the top of the cabinets. I can see it as a WiFi source from the list on my phone and RoKu equipped TV. When I try to stream shows, like from Netflix, the signal from my house is too weak and when I try to engage with the source from my camper I am told there is WiFi but no internet found. I cannot find much resource on this and it was really not understood by the person who did the walkthrough when we first picked it up. ANY help would be great! Thanks!

Originally posted by Greyline View Post
    Hi. This is concerning the WiFi booster. I'm hoping to tap some knowledge that I don't have about this device from some of you more technical people. I have activated the "One Control" and can operate systems from my I-Phone. That's an accomplishment for me. I'm trying to figure out how to boost nearby WiFi using the device that's located on the top of the cabinets. I can see it as a WiFi source from the list on my phone and RoKu equipped TV. When I try to stream shows, like from Netflix, the signal from my house is too weak and when I try to engage with the source from my camper I am told there is WiFi but no internet found. I cannot find much resource on this and it was really not understood by the person who did the walkthrough when we first picked it up. ANY help would be great! Thanks!
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Greyline. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the system in your Momentum. If someone doesn't chime in with help please post again tomorrow or the next day (so I get reminded) and if necessary I'll tag our GD hosts for information.

Can you post a picture of the device itself or point me to the manual online? Maybe that will allow me to help.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I dont think it is possible to boost existing wifi. I use mine with a tmobile card in the connect anywhere module to create my own hotspot. The antenna on the roof is a cellular antenna not a wifi reciever.

Disclaimer....I'm not an expert lol.
      2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
      2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

I believe that this is only for connecting your phone to the one control. You would need to add a sim card as well as cellular data to use this as "wi-fi" for all items in the RV.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian and Motocamper are correct, the external antennae on the roof is a 4G cellular antennae and is used to bring cellular signal into your cellular gateway inside the cabinet. You will need to purchase an AT&T, Rogers, or TMobile SIM card to work with this unit (Along with a data plan for the SIM card). Verizon is NOT supported.
          Brady & Steph
          2019 Momentum 351m FBP
          2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
          *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
          *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Originally posted by TENN22 View Post
            Brian and Motocamper are correct, the external antennae on the roof is a 4G cellular antennae and is used to bring cellular signal into your cellular gateway inside the cabinet. You will need to purchase an AT&T, Rogers, or TMobile SIM card to work with this unit (Along with a data plan for the SIM card). Verizon is NOT supported.
            I had read somewhere that only a data plan/card purchased through LCI will work with their OneControl. Any idea if that's true?

Anyone actually install a sim card in one of these units?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I had read somewhere that only a data plan/card purchased through LCI will work with their OneControl. Any idea if that's true?

Anyone actually install a sim card in one of these units?
              That applies to the new models. The first ones offered would work with your own SIM card. I have a tmobile in mine. Works perfectly.
              2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
              2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

Blue labels on the module require the LCI plan. Gray (I think) labels you can use other sim cards. There is a port on the router that is taped over. If you get a wifi booster, you can plug the booster in that port and use the trailers router for access.
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by motocamper View Post

That applies to the new models. The first ones offered would work with your own SIM card. I have a tmobile in mine. Works perfectly.
                  Yep, looks like that is their new models: https://store.lci1.com/connectanywhere-upgrade and they are proud of those monthly data plans.

LCI's plan is more than likely a rebranded AT&T service which limits connectivity to AT&T, TMobile, Rogers towers. For those of us in Verizon country this would not be a good fit.
                  Brady & Steph
                  2019 Momentum 351m FBP
                  2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
                  *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
                  *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Wife and I are new to the family. Just picked up our 397TH. Anyone know where the router is located in a 397TH to install the SIM card? My old coach I found wiring in a cabinet to get to the external cellular antenna. Curious where they put it in the 397TH?

Sean & Steph

Comment

Working...
                    X