Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Your Refrigerator Maintain Safe Food Temperatures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out from GDRV that shroud is actually a needed piece that goes on top of the refrigerator to prevent air flow over the top of the refrigerator. So, the dealer just installed it completely wrong, but the shroud does have a purpose, just in a different location.
    Brady & Steph
    2019 Momentum 351m FBP
    2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
    *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
    *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Originally posted by TENN22 View Post
      Found out from GDRV that shroud is actually a needed piece that goes on top of the refrigerator to prevent air flow over the top of the refrigerator. So, the dealer just installed it completely wrong, but the shroud does have a purpose, just in a different location.
      A question. Shouldn't that shroud be installed by GD when building and installing the refrigerator in the unit?
      I guess i do not understand "the dealer install" unless you had another refrig installed.
      Last edited by Superduty; 04-22-2020, 12:53 PM.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Mine has a similar piece that lays on top of the refrigerator to direct heat out of the vents. Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge baffle.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	17164
        This should have been held up when the installed the new fridge. There should also be insulation above this shroud.

Brian

​​​​​​​
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

A question. Shouldn't that shroud be installed by GD when building and installing the refrigerator in the unit?
          I guess i do not understand "the dealer install" unless you had another refrig installed.
          If you go back to post 22 . . . Brady and Steph had their fridge replaced by a dealer (who's techs obviously did not know how to do this correctly).

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

If you go back to post 22 . . . Brady and Steph had their fridge replaced by a dealer (who's techs obviously did not know how to do this correctly).

Rob
            Rob,
            Thanks. Not sure how I missed that post, but at least I understand how it happen.
            Steve
            2018 Reflection 303
            2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

We have issues with the refrigerator freezing food on the first shelf, even at level 4, and at this level, not all food freezes in the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Mine has a similar piece that lays on top of the refrigerator to direct heat out of the vents. Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge baffle.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	17164
                This should have been held up when the installed the new fridge. There should also be insulation above this shroud.

Brian

​​​​​​​
                Thanks Brian, Like Rob said the dealer replaced mine a few weeks back and I didn't see this until I got it home. It has been an interesting week with the dealer, as they claim it is installed correctly and they did nothing wrong. Fortunately GDRV support team was involved and set them straight. My dilemma is whether to take back to the dealer and let them correct it, or have someone else do it.
                Brady & Steph
                2019 Momentum 351m FBP

Comment

Thanks Brian, Like Rob said the dealer replaced mine a few weeks back and I didn't see this until I got it home. It has been an interesting week with the dealer, as they claim it is installed correctly and they did nothing wrong. Fortunately GDRV support team was involved and set them straight. My dilemma is whether to take back to the dealer and let them correct it, or have someone else do it.
                  I think that sliding the fridge out an holding the panel up and then sliding the fridge back in is all that it would take. Making sure that the insulation is on top and sides of the fridge is important. I have recently added 2" of insulation on the top of my fridge. The panel or shroud really does not block the hot air from collecting on top of the fridge , making cooling somewhat inefficient.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think that sliding the fridge out an holding the panel up and then sliding the fridge back in is all that it would take. Making sure that the insulation is on top and sides of the fridge is important. I have recently added 2" of insulation on the top of my fridge. The panel or shroud really does not block the hot air from collecting on top of the fridge , making cooling somewhat inefficient.

Brian
                    Brian,
                    I suspected the same thing, and asked GDRV, They said the biggest challenge is disconnecting the propane line, and making sure there is enough slack in the 12 volt cables. One thing is for sure, the shroud is in there TIGHT, they wedged it in there really good.
                    Brady & Steph
                    2019 Momentum 351m FBP

Comment

Brian,
                      I suspected the same thing, and asked GDRV, They said the biggest challenge is disconnecting the propane line, and making sure there is enough slack in the 12 volt cables. One thing is for sure, the shroud is in there TIGHT, they wedged it in there really good.
                      Hi Brady,

I agree with Brian that the fridge has to come out so that you can figure out what the dealer did during the installation. If you don't want to attempt this yourself, you might want to talk to Grand Design about authorizing a mobile tech . . . given what you have already gone through with this dealer.

Disconnecting the propane and the 12V is not a big deal . . . I am not sure what their concern might be. When I did this (albeit a smaller fridge) I got a furniture dolly and shimmed up the top surface with plywood until it was exactly the same height off the main floor as the fridge cabinet. Removed a few screws around the perimeter of the fridge and wiggled it out on to the dolly. Then, just rolled the fridge out of the way while I insulated the cabinet walls. Insulation on top of the fridge and the close out baffles went in from the outside (I had to make my own) after the fridge was back in place. You might want to trim yours so that they can go in from the outside after the fridge.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Brady,

I agree with Brian that the fridge has to come out so that you can figure out what the dealer did during the installation. If you don't want to attempt this yourself, you might want to talk to Grand Design about authorizing a mobile tech . . . given what you have already gone through with this dealer.

Disconnecting the propane and the 12V is not a big deal . . . I am not sure what their concern might be. When I did this (albeit a smaller fridge) I got a furniture dolly and shimmed up the top surface with plywood until it was exactly the same height off the main floor as the fridge cabinet. Removed a few screws around the perimeter of the fridge and wiggled it out on to the dolly. Then, just rolled the fridge out of the way while I insulated the cabinet walls. Insulation on top of the fridge and the close out baffles went in from the outside (I had to make my own) after the fridge was back in place. You might want to trim yours so that they can go in from the outside after the fridge.

Rob
                        Rob,
                        DId you use standard wall insulation (bats) or the rigid foam board type?
                        Brady & Steph
                        2019 Momentum 351m FBP

Comment

Rob,
                          DId you use standard wall insulation (bats) or the rigid foam board type?
                          Hi Brady,

I used rigid foam, fitted around any obstructions and glued into place on the walls.
                          The original installation had pieces of fibreglass bats stuffed in around the fridge . . . not a very complete installation.
                          Above the fridge, I used multiple layers of the same 1" rigid foam, because this was easier to insert layer by layer from the outside through the small access slot.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	fridge baffle.jpg Views:	176 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	17164

Brian
                            Hey Brian,

Reading through some of these fridge posts to prepare for hotter weather and saw your post. Here is a pic of my top shroud and it looks like it goes to far back allowing hot air to hover over the top of the fridge. Is yours also like this? I was considering bending the curvature so it isn't that deep and is closer to the fins directing the hot air out the vent.
                            Attached Files
                            2020 Imagine MK2670
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

Hey Brian,

Reading through some of these fridge posts to prepare for hotter weather and saw your post. Here is a pic of my top shroud and it looks like it goes to far back allowing hot air to hover over the top of the fridge. Is yours also like this? I was considering bending the curvature so it isn't that deep and is closer to the fins directing the hot air out the vent.
                              Yes that is similar to what mine looked like , although yours seems to be a little higher in the back. What I did to mine just recently was add 2" of insulation right on top of the fridge. The added insulation will hold the shroud up. Add the insulation and make sure that it takes up all of the space right out to the edge of the fridge , do not cover the upper coil , a little hang over might be ok (oops). I cut the insulation so it is a tight fit and it has not moved , yet. This added insulation will help keep hot air from accumulating above fridge as well as prevent heat from radiating from the top of the slide , if you do not have slide toppers. I did not do any testing before or after to see if there was a difference. We did not notice any issues before but I think this will help.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X