Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Devil CV1500 Vacuum in a 2019 315RLTS (1 of 2 posts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Devil CV1500 Vacuum in a 2019 315RLTS (1 of 2 posts)

28 Oct Update: This did not turn out too well--make sure and read post #7 of this thread!

http://www.dirtdevilcentral.com/WBA/...at-central-vac

Note 1: Due to limit of four pictures per post this write-up consists of two posts.

Note 2: This is a new installation as of 17 Jul—it is not time-tested! I’ll update this thread after our trip to the rally in August with any lessons-learned. As I state often, I’m not an engineer or professional RV mechanic…this is something I figured out on my own that I *think* will work. Copy at your own risk!

My DW wanted a permanently installed vacuum in her trailer. Initially she wanted it under the sink in the kitchen island but it would have taken almost 100% of the space. That meant finding a new location for the garbage can and various cleaning supplies. It also meant considerable finishing work to make the hose access good looking. As the saying goes, the “juice wasn’t worth the squeeze”.

We looked at every other possible location in the trailer. The two primary considerations were 1) the vacuum’s hose must reach both ends of the trailer and 2) power was readily available on a lightly-used circuit. (That last criteria eliminated most of the living room because almost every easily-accessible outlet is on one 15A circuit!)

After long debates we decided to install it under the bed. It’s very easy* to raise up the end of the bed exposing the vacuum. Fran doesn’t have to bend over or get on the floor to access the vacuum or change the filter bag.

*Note I’m able to say “it’s very easy to raise the bed” because of the heavy-duty 150lb gas springs I installed after buying a quality residential mattress.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lift.JPG Views:	10 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	2076

The vacuum’s power cord plugs into the outlet under the side dresser. The only issue is Fran must remember to turn off the water heater (or switch it to propane) as this outlet is on the water heater’s 15A circuit. Eventually I hope to find an old canister vacuum with a retracting power cord I can cannibalize to make the power cord issue a little nicer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5509 (Large).JPG Views:	9 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	2077

Here’s the installation (the bed is raised):

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5511 (Large).JPG Views:	9 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	2078

Note the white spacer on the first gray clamp and the hose head mount point (just above the bright green lever) offsets the assembly down just a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5517 (Large).JPG Views:	9 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	2079

....continued on the next post...
    Last edited by howson; 10-28-2019, 01:42 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Post #2

Here’s the top without the bed showing the T-nuts. (I covered them with gorilla tape as a precaution after I took this picture.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5494 Labeled (Large).jpg
Views:	416
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2081

Name:	DSCN5498 (Large).JPG
Views:	381
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2082

Here’s a closeup of how I secured the hose to the bottom of the panel.

Name:	DSCN5499 (Large).JPG
Views:	387
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2083

Very easy to change the filter bag.

Name:	DSCN5510 (Large).JPG
Views:	392
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2084

I didn’t make a video showing the vacuum working—there’s plenty on YouTube already. Do a search and you’ll find them.

Any questions—fire away.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard

Another job well done. Now I have to figure out how to keep the wife from seeing this.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Howard

Another job well done. Now I have to figure out how to keep the wife from seeing this.

Brian
        Thanks, Brian. I suspect our wives will be checking out what others have done to their trailers and will generate a list of "Honey Dos" by the time we leave the rally.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Too late Country Campers

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Thanks, Brian. I suspect our wives will be checking out what others have done to their trailers and will generate a list of "Honey Dos" by the time we leave the rally.
            They need internet access to do that, right? Stuff is always breaking in our trailers. Just sayin'.

Ooops, missed the reference to "rally". Yer done for.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Well this project turned out to be a big fat failure.

1) Fran hated lifting the bed to access the vacuum.

2) Fran hated dragging the hose through the camper. In addition, for some reason the air moving across the hose would emit a horrendous high-pitched squeal.

3) Finally, the weight of the vacuum plus the mattress was too much for the lifts and connections. (see pics below).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191028_101151 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	6069

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191028_101205 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	6070
              BL--vacuum is removed and I'm going to try something much, much less convoluted this time. How about just a small, portable Shop Vac?

As Riker says in this clip (forward to the 3:45 mark and play through 4:10), "Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you." Captain Picard then responds, "Reverse course...take us back to Federation territory, warp 6."

Yep.

Howard & Francine

Comment

How about a battery powered Dyson. This what we use and it lays next to bed shoved all the way towards the nose of the trailer. I have a Reflection 5th wheel so about half of the portable vacuum is exposed but lays under the overhang of the bed so it's never in the way. It also stays plugged up in outlet next bed when not in use.

Comment

Originally posted by cwalters2112 View Post
                  How about a battery powered Dyson. This what we use and it lays next to bed shoved all the way towards the nose of the trailer. I have a Reflection 5th wheel so about half of the portable vacuum is exposed but lays under the overhang of the bed so it's never in the way. It also stays plugged up in outlet next bed when not in use.
                  I don't know much about Dysons--what model do you use?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't know much about Dysons--what model do you use?
                    We used a Dyson DC-07 Animal upright in the stix 'n brix and loved it. Have used a Dyson V-6 and now V-7 cordless vac in the RV for over four years - love it, too! Very powerful, cleans the whole rig on one charge, a few accessories give me the ability to dust, get into tight places, and do the vehicles, too. The charger bracket is mounted inside the front closet on the 337 and will go in the W/D closet on the 310GK (we'll use the W/D closet for linens, etc.). I highly recommend the Dysons. You can even get them at many Walmarts, now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyson-V7-...=&wl8=&veh=sem

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                    X