Furrion Microwave stops then starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Microwave stops then starts

We have a 2018 Reflection 27RL purchased new almost 2 yrs ago. Before I call Furion has anyone experienced their microwave losing complete power during operation then getting power back after about 5 minutes?. Power is lost to micro only. This has happened to us three times. Twice it was when running the microwave 10 minutes or so to cook a pot pie. The other time was when using the defrost option which was also for 10 minutes or so. The microwave stops and there's no power even to the display. Power restores itself and the microwave seemingly works fine for short time periods. Any ideas or should I just call Furrion?
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Dennis&Phyllis amp;

It sounds like a thermal circuit breaker within the microwave unit is reaching its limit and opening the circuit. Once the microwave cools down, the circuit breaker closes again. Are you parked with the fridge side in the hot sun? If so, does the microwave work better when there is no sun load ?

RobHi
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post
      We have a 2018 Reflection 27RL purchased new almost 2 yrs ago. Before I call Furion has anyone experienced their microwave losing complete power during operation then getting power back after about 5 minutes?. Power is lost to micro only. This has happened to us three times. Twice it was when running the microwave 10 minutes or so to cook a pot pie. The other time was when using the defrost option which was also for 10 minutes or so. The microwave stops and there's no power even to the display. Power restores itself and the microwave seemingly works fine for short time periods. Any ideas or should I just call Furrion?
      If it was me I'd verify the power outlet (or circuit breaker connection in the power panel) is not the issue before calling Furrion.

I'm not familiar with your layout, but on my 315RLTS the power outlet is accessible to the right of the microwave.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Microwave Outlet.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	2649

I'd plug in a light to the other outlet and then run the microwave. If the light goes out when the microwave quits, I'd suspect the outlet's wiring.

If you're not aware, please note that the outlets in your trailer are not the same as the ones is in your house. See https://www.rvupgradestore.com/AC-Se...-p/19-2416.htm as an example and note the requirement (according to the website) for an SCD installation tool to install . Some of the gurus here have figured out how to do it without the tool. I went a different route--for the outlet I replaced I put in a standard household outlet in a shallow box like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...al-Box/1099179
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It may not matter but I failed to mention we were on generator when the problem occurred. Dennis also thinks it's some type of thermal protector inside the microwave but now that we're home I'll the suggestion to check out the plug before I call Furrion. Also going to see if running off of 50 amp service matters. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks!
        Dennis & Phyllis Manley
        2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Comment

For anyone in the future who may find this thread: The HighPointe microwave / convection oven in the 2018 310-GK (and presumably others) also has a thermal breaker in it. So if yours shuts down after / during a long use with all power off including the clock, try letting it sit for a while.

Now as to whether it should have shut down due to overheating after 25 minutes of microwave or not, time will tell. We'll monitor it to see if it becomes commonplace and happens at shorter periods.

-Al
          Al and Kathe
          :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
          2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
          Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Working...
          X