OnStar WiFi Hotspot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OnStar WiFi Hotspot

Does anyone have any experience with using the OnStar WiFi Hotspot for your internet connection?

I just bought 2020 Sierra and it came with a trial period of Hotspot. I am sitting as I type in campground checking it out. Its supposed to have a 50 ft range but I have not tested it. I have TMobile and no service where I sit. I do have WiFi calling if I can get an internet connection. Truck is parked 15 ft away and I can connect phones, TV and iPad inside trailer.

Problem I’ve run into is truck must be either running or in Accessory mode for connection to work. I am sitting here now in trailer with Accessory mode on in truck, Fob is in seat (so it won’t automatically turn off) and door shut. Auto lights mode is turned off. I know this will eventually run down battery. I’m about to back up truck and hookup 7 pin. I think it’s supposed to keep truck battery charged when connected to shore power. If this works, this will be a pretty good solution for $15/mo.

Thoughts/Suggestions
    Marty and Teresa
    2022 Reflection 260RD
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT

I have Onstar and curious on your findings. I have heard others say that the vehicle needs to be on or accessory as you have mentioned. You will get some residual charge from trailer to truck. Depending on the demand in the trailer will regulate how many amps are leftover for charging the truck. I would not be sure if it was enough to cover the truck key in the on position.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

F/U - I ran out of the Onstar $15/mo plan data in 2 days of usage and upgraded to the $25/mo unlimited data plan. I am currently in David Crockett SP in Lawrenceburg, TN still experimenting with wifi. I have a decent T-Mobile signal and added their $15/mo Personal Hotspot plan yesterday. I connected my MacBook Air to the T-Mobile hotspot and got 4.6 Mbps. I got a few instances of buffering/loading and grainy internet based TV but otherwise worked fairly well. I'm looking at several cell signal boosters to see if that would increase the signal in my camper and would this increase Mbps? I then connected to my Onstar wifi and got 22.7 Mbps. Onstar cost more but is much faster, at least in this location. But there's the downside with Onstar and having to have truck accessory on, running down battery. Anyone else have experience or interest in this? Thx
      Marty and Teresa
      2022 Reflection 260RD
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT

Comment

Working...
      X