Furnace won’t come on automatically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace won’t come on automatically

Camping in cold weather and our furnace won’t come on automatically. Set it to come on at 60 but it was 41 degrees inside this morning and I had to turn off the thermostat and set it at 75 to get it to come on. Yesterday was the same and then it only ran a few minutes before shutting off without ever blowing out heat. Had to reset again and it finally blew out heat. Any suggestions what might be wrong? In Silverton, CO and it’s “COLD” Got down to 32 last night. Won’t be back in sunny California until next week. We have a Reflection 27RL with a Suburban furnace.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post
    Camping in cold weather and our furnace won’t come on automatically. Set it to come on at 60 but it was 41 degrees inside this morning and I had to turn off the thermostat and set it at 75 to get it to come on. Yesterday was the same and then it only ran a few minutes before shutting off without ever blowing out heat. Had to reset again and it finally blew out heat. Any suggestions what might be wrong? In Silverton, CO and it’s “COLD” Got down to 32 last night. Won’t be back in sunny California until next week. We have a Reflection 27RL with a Suburban furnace.
    There are a few possibilities, sail switch might be your #1 possibility. I'm not an expert; I'll link a few threads that may help.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ing-thermostat

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-furnace-issue

This one mentions high-altitude operation:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nace-operation

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Thanks boyscout. I had read a few of those threads. The thing about higher elevation was an interesting point we hadn’t considered but we’re thinking we probably have a thermostat issue after reading other posts. Really appreciate your help!
      Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that as soon as we changed elevation and somewhat higher temps the furnace started operating normally again. Not sure why but glad it is.

Dennis&Phyllis
        Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that as soon as we changed elevation and somewhat higher temps the furnace started operating normally again. Not sure why but glad it is.Dennis&Phyllis
          Glad it's working, but I'll bet that GD and Suburban don't intend that the furnace work only at sea level in fairly-warm inclement weather.

Hope that GD or some of the experts here will jump in and advise about what needs attention before you return to high altitude and cold weather.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that as soon as we changed elevation and somewhat higher temps the furnace started operating normally again. Not sure why but glad it is.

Dennis&Phyllis
            Good chance your LP regulator is set on the low end of the range 9-11 in WC, so at altitude it's not enough to light off. The only way to really check your output is with a couple of tools. One a manometer and another a device that bleeds off some LP to simulate multiple appliances running so when you check the WC it's a true reading of your pressures. So unless you have these and/or feel comfortable with LP you may want to have it check out if it persists.

One other simpler possibility is if your LP auto change over regulator is pointed to a empty bottle and it's drawing at less pressure from the full one - this will also cause the no light at altitude.

Mark
            2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
            2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
            2020 Momentum 376THS
            We're both proud USAF Retirees...
            Retired RV Tech

Comment

Working...
            X