Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dragon is slain, but leaves a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragon is slain, but leaves a question...

I finally made this project a priority as everything else around me has been a minor crisis.
    When we moved the "tude to the tin shack I began a couple of simultaneous projects. The nose is facing due South, but not by design. All of out local channels are broadcast from SSE to WNW of us, so the roof antennae didn't have a direct line at any of them but got great reception for the closest one. I installed an onmi-directional antennae off of the support for the tin shack at the SW corner and ran the coax to the wet bay side. I also set up the Dish Playmaker on a table under the hitch box and ran the cable to the SAT jack, but nothing hitting to the inside. I had an easy temp solution, so I brought the street side slide in a bit and ran both coax through the bottom corner at the seal, then put the slide back open. and ran the cables that way. I had just bought a high water alarm for a basement sump, so cut the wires and hooked them to a piece of scrap coax and connected it to the SAT connector. I then went down and found that the coax was connected to the wrong connector in the wet bay. I labeled both ends and moved it and then checked a few more lines and labeled them. Then I found out that the beep was scaring one of the dogs, so I had to change tactics and do it the hard way. I also ran the coax for the outside antennae and connected it to the second SAT connection, installed a new coax and paired it with the roof antennae with a splitter than connected it to the amplifier. I am going to install another connection for this one in the wet bay.
    We have a second receiver for the Dish but haven't tried to connect it and was originally told that the antennae would support both receivers thru a single coax. Every time I tried to inject a splitter into the system I lost signal on the receiver. I tried several and finally gave up and messaged tech support on Sunday. After three escalations, I got one that was trouble shooting from the script. It took me 30 minutes to get him off of the script and I have no idea how many times that the antennae had great signal, no obstructions and was facing due south. Finally I just had to stop him and ask if I needed a special splitter of use the second coax connection on the antennae. The answer was the second coax. It took well over an hour trying to get the answer to that one question.
    So now, all my cables have a purpose and a label on both ends and for right now, everything is working as it should. I'm keeping the Avatar for a bit. It makes it easy to find mine in the recents lift.
    The next basement project is to install a small Shop-Vac to bypass the thing they installed and with 3 dogs and now a cat, we need the added vacuum power and storage.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​
Working...
X