MAXXAir Lid Lifting Gear Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXXAir Lid Lifting Gear Repair

Some of you may remember my response to Ed Pauly in the thread Max Air Vent Install! [w/pics] letting him know that my vent broke right after telling him to "not worry" about his MAXXair vent lid impacting the cover. Figures.

The part that broke -- shattered, actually (see pics below) -- was the Lid Lifting Gear. 5 minutes searching YouTube and Google and I found a lot of entries. This is not a well made part.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gear1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	36628

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gear 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	36627
    The video below drags out the process, but it does (eventually) show the repair if you are patient enough to sit through the whole thing. (It took me less than 5 minutes, start to finish, to execute the repair.)

Bottom line: if you have a powered MaxxAir fan vent lid you might consider getting one of these gears and tossing it in your spare parts bin. You'll eventually need it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5585.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	36626
    Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard

Please do not throw away the broken part. If I could get it from you someday I can make a new housing out of aluminum , this will be stronger than the pot metal that was used. Just a simple block with a couple holes.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Howard

Please do not throw away the broken part. If I could get it from you someday I can make a new housing out of aluminum , this will be stronger than the pot metal that was used. Just a simple block with a couple holes.

Brian
      The old one shattered when I removed it, Brian!

Click image for larger version

Name:	shattered.JPG
Views:	1061
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	36640

I bought a second spare--you want me to mail it to you so you can make a replacement? I'd be first in line to get one from you!

Name:	spare.JPG
Views:	1092
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	36641
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The old one shattered when I removed it, Brian
        That's ok all of the parts are there , not a big deal though if mine brakes I will just build a new one.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Howard

Brian
          That housing might be ?? the weak link in the system. If we beef up this part the motor actuator might burn out? Kind of like the weakest fuse in a electrical circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
            That housing might be ?? the weak link in the system. If we beef up this part the motor actuator might burn out? Kind of like the weakest fuse in a electrical circuit.
            The MAXXAir's motor is meant to "overload" which in turn signals the system to turn off. Very similar to how the Schwintek slides set "home" based on the high current draw when the slide is out (or in), thus that's why a Schwintek switch must be held for a second or two after the slide reaches it's limit.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard

Brian
              Where is the link for ordering one from you?!
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Where is the link for ordering one from you?!
                It will be along once I get my hands on one and a proper rebuild , but will cost may "cold ones" to get the new and improved model.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

To what address does the "cold ones
                  need to be delivered?
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

The kitchen's MaxxAir lift mechanism failed today. Very simple repair, and since I had a spare on hand it went very quick.

Name:	Kitchen Fan Gear Broken.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	80714

If you have a MaxxAir I recommend having one of these parts on hand in your spares kit. Not cheap at $45 at etrailer but better than a non-functioning fan. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0281K-1AF.html

Howard & Francine

Comment

7 Oct 2022 Update

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Kitchen Fan Gear Broken.JPG Views:	196 Size:	210.5 KB ID:	80714
                      Before the GD National Rally I stopped at the Elkhart Fairgrounds the last day of the FROG (to "spy" and check to see what had changed) and discovered there was a MaxxAir rep on site. I discussed the issue of the shattering lift mechanism with him and discovered they'd re-engineered the part. You can tell if it's the new style if it has screws (vs rivets) holding the unit together. The material is more substantial, too, as compared to the "pot metal" (my description) of the older style lift mechanism.

Name:	Lift Mechanism.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	96362

The part number is similar to that shown in post 3 but now has a 1AF suffix. Newest part number is 10A20281K-1AF

Shout out to Airxcel (Maxxair) as they sent me two replacement lift mechanisms free of charge (I have two fans, both of which have suffered from a broken lift mechanism).

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	part number.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	96361

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson

Last year my Maxxair started making a "grinding sound" on activation, and the motor would not stop when it reach the vent cover. After reading experiences like yours I assumed the lift mechanism was shattered. I didn't crawl on top of the trailer to check it, but just called Maxxair and they sent me a new one under warranty.

When I installed the new one I found the old one looked like it was in good shape. It appeared to manually work fine with gears intact. Apparently there was another part of the lift damaged.

I did not bother to troubleshoot it further, but instead decided to just manually open and close the lid when needed to prevent future issues. I seldom use the vent/fan anyway so no big deal. My concern is still the lid hitting the vent cover on opening and putting undue stress on the lifting mechanism. I agree that the increased load on the motor is what triggers the motor to stop, but I have the feeling that there may be a weak link that fails before the motor stops exerting pressure.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                        X