No announcement yet.

OneControl issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just have to jump into the fray on this. I also am not a big fan of this system either- had my share of issues with some fixes...

Touchpad locking up constantly - LCI sent me a new screen doesn't lock up but this one has a LONG delay in reacting

Main slide kept stopping and having to reset - there is a program option on the screen and I had to increase the systems amperage protection - LCI can walk you through this

I continue to have the screen go into lockout stating I am still connected to the tow vehicle when I'm not. In this lockout you cannot use your external device because it thinks you are "moving" You have to use the main screen unlock (a notification pops up on the screen) - my problem is I continue to get this even when I'm not connected. I removed the main ground on the X4 board (oh didn't work something else is grounding the system Lippert was surprised) so I removed all 4 12 VDC power wires to do a hard reset on the board. I think you could do this with just the battery disconnect but wanted to make sure I truly removed all power. The lockout has not happened in the past couple of days.....

I have such a delay on the main screen that if it was not for the the option to turn off all lights...I would be 5 minutes trying to turn off each light at night.....

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
    Retired RV Tech

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post
      Just have to jump into the fray on this. I also am not a big fan of this system either- had my share of issues with some fixes...

Touchpad locking up constantly - LCI sent me a new screen doesn't lock up but this one has a LONG delay in reacting

Main slide kept stopping and having to reset - there is a program option on the screen and I had to increase the systems amperage protection - LCI can walk you through this

I continue to have the screen go into lockout stating I am still connected to the tow vehicle when I'm not. In this lockout you cannot use your external device because it thinks you are "moving" You have to use the main screen unlock (a notification pops up on the screen) - my problem is I continue to get this even when I'm not connected. I removed the main ground on the X4 board (oh didn't work something else is grounding the system Lippert was surprised) so I removed all 4 12 VDC power wires to do a hard reset on the board. I think you could do this with just the battery disconnect but wanted to make sure I truly removed all power. The lockout has not happened in the past couple of days.....

I have such a delay on the main screen that if it was not for the the option to turn off all lights...I would be 5 minutes trying to turn off each light at night.....

Mark
      What a depressing post, Mark. The X4 looks like it has so much potential.

Have you had any interaction with the CompassConnect control panels that are pre-programmed to interact with an X180T or X1.5?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

DarnDave Thanks for responding. I know you said you changed out your exterior touch pad controller on your previous rv, but I'm curious as to what you have on your 2021 390RK. I also own a 2021 390 RK and was wondering if you have the exterior mini touch pad controller set up like mine. I still plan on contacting Lippert or Grand Design about if there would be any issues with changing the controller out with hopefully a positive response instead of not do able like you received. I actually still have my old touch pad controller that I changed out from my old trailer so I know the part number needed for that And I'm pretty sure I could figure out the harness if needed. The only item that I would like to be sure about is the the level controller that is mounted on the storage compartment ceiling. If you could supply me with that part number I would appreciate it. No rush winter isn't over with here yet.
        Greg and Cyndi 2021 Solitude 390RK 2018 F450 DRW

Comment

RV Tech Ret I sympathize with you for the issues you are having. I know my patients would be short and my wife would be running for cover. I was only able to use my system for a brief period to unhook from my truck in January to drop it off to store it. I had some issues with the jacks and the interior touch screen but I'm hoping it was due to the freezing weather. When the weather breaks I'll have the opportunity to check it out thoroughly, hopefully with no issues. It seems to me there are two issues Lippert and Grand Design. One company designs it and the other one installs it, I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post

Mark
            Mark - yes, as Howard shared in his post #17, this is a very concerning item for those of us looking at a new GDRV as well as those sharing issues over the last several months. Hearing your feedback as an RV Tech carries considerable weight as does the feedback from current owners. Having to deal with challenges with an electronic devise and/or various technology apps for key operations of the RV like slides, leveling, awnings, lights, etc.) is a huge flag.

This reminds me of the hundreds of greasy brakes threads posts of years ago with LCI axles........gosh I sure hope it does not go there ! More importantly, I sure hope GDRV is on top of these issues and gets them resolved with a sense of urgency. Possibly the moderators have shared this with GDRV and can provide updates going forward on resolutions to the problems.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

gregz , currently I am running with the mini exterior limited function touchpad, as OEM built. I have the new components coming. The only parts that should be GD specific are what others on here are referring to as the Unity board, hidden somewhere in the bowels of your trailer. It is the mother ship of the system. your requests from the touchpad all go through this hub, and they are specialized to each mfg's specs. But the leveling system's hydraulic pump doesn't care where the electric signal comes from to energize. That is how you can eliminate the entire system from the one control/compass connect (compass connect, or CC, is a term invented by GD and only used on their products). The reason why it is necessary (I think, and I know it works) to change the controller is that there is nowhere to plug in the harness which goes to that unity board. The Lippert part numbers I used previously and have on order are as follows: Touchpad, 421484; touchpad harness, 241316,; controller, 241129. Keep in mind that if you change it over, you will lose the ability to do any leveling from the main screen, or your mobile app. It will be the good old days when you have to do everything leveling from the exterior touchpad. The harness I listed has a different plug on it and only works with this controller. The one you currently have installed only works with the OCTP controller. Hopefully this helps. Also there are GD part numbers available for all of this if you check out the Parts Lookup feature on the top of the page, but then you are stuck ordering from your dealer. Most of this should be available elsewhere and cheaper online. ( I got mine from an Uncle in Indiana, wink wink). Let me know if you have any other questions; and I hope this helps others as well.
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
                The only parts that should be GD specific are what others on here are referring to as the Unity board, hidden somewhere in the bowels of your trailer. It is the mother ship of the system. your requests from the touchpad all go through this hub, and they are specialized to each mfg's specs..
                To clarify, the control panels used in the CompassConnect systems as well as the unique X180T board are Grand Design specific components (shown below).

The X1.5 and X4 Unity boards, as well as the OneTouch Control Panel (OCTP), are OneControl components used across many OEMs as they are programmable Lippert components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Design OEM Only.JPG
Views:	3447
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	42358

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

DarnDave I hope there won't be a problem with multiple conversations going on in this post but I also hope this will help everyone conversing here. Dave the part numbers you listed here are the same ones that I was looking at. I had a chance to get into my trailer to look at my existing controller. There are 2 different numbers on the controller 807662 and 25499. It is labelled as One Control Level Up Advantage Leveling Control with slide output. This brings me to a couple questions hoping you have an answer. First the slide output connection on my existing leveling controller, I can't remember from my other trailer if it had a connection for the slide output connection. Do you know if the 241129 has this? Second question, the existing controller has two can bus connectors on it, would I just unplug these and leave them disconnected since the new controller wouldn't use these?

Comment

gregz

I can answer the part about disconnecting the CANBUS.

In this first diagram is a modular system that runs through numerous components. Note the system starts with a terminating resistor (and a wire pair coming out of the unit) and ends with a terminating resistor (with a wire pair coming into the unit). In every case there is a wire pair going into and out of the CANBUS component.

The order of the components does not make a difference.

Name:	Level Up.jpg
Views:	3149
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	42493
                    In this second diagram the Level Up is removed from the CANBUS circuit. Note how the path is (and must be) intact from start to finish. The Level Up controller shown at the bottom right of the diagram represents the independent system you're contemplating installing.

Name:	No Level Up.jpg
Views:	3718
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	42494
                    I hope what you take away from these diagrams is the CANBUS must be complete from start to finish. You can certainly remove a component from the circuit, but the CANBUS must be reconnected to reestablish the path.

Hope that makes sense.

Howard

Comment

howson what your showing on how the canbus system makes sense. I guess my question would be where does the leveling controller fall into play ( incoming canbus connection and outgoing canbus connection) and would it be possible to take the two canbus connectors that go into the existing level controller and junction them together to continue the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by gregz View Post
                        howson what your showing on how the canbus system makes sense. I guess my question would be where does the leveling controller fall into play ( incoming canbus connection and outgoing canbus connection) and would it be possible to take the two canbus connectors that go into the existing level controller and junction them together to continue the loop.
                        The leveling controller may be between the in-wall slide-out controller that's in the front of the camper (basement?) for the front, street side slideout and the in-wall slideout controller for the aft, doorside slide. That latter cable may be up to 50' long. The distance from the front in-wall controller to the leveling controller may be very short, so if there's enough slack in that long 50' cable (which is currently plugged into the output of the leveling controller) it could be plugged into the output of the front slide-out controller. The short wire connecting the front in-wall controller to the leveling controller would not be used.

I'm caveating a lot of what I write because your 2018 may be completely different from current production. A call to GD Customer Service is warranted to confirm the configuration (or just trace out the wires--it wouldn't be hard to do).

To your second question: If there's such a thing as a female-to-female CANBUS adapter (I don't know) what you're suggesting would be possible. Installing a new cable (if required) of the right length to join the controllers is the better solution IMHO. Maybe removing power from the CANBUS leveling controller but leaving the CANBUS connectors installed will also work? I don't know. That's a question for Lippert. (I'd try it but if you do so it's at your own risk.)

Comment

gregz howson , well you two are starting to leave me in the dust, LOL! I actually had no idea there was a slide component to the leveling controller. I will have to get into my notes, and compare to what is actually in the trailer. I am pretty sure, though, that the only slides that would be affected would be the living room slides, as they are hydraulically actuated. The other three slides are schwintek (electric) mechanisms. Greg, did you find the LCI resources I mentioned in an earlier post? There are really good (almost as good as Howard's) diagrams comparing the two different available systems they offer (basically with or without one control). I am curious how many places there are to plug in harnesses on the diagram compared to what we actually have on our units. Howard is right; there may have been changes from 2018 that I am unaware of, which is when I last messed with this stuff. To be honest, though, the current system is bluetooth technology on the Solitudes, which seems to be a huge improvement over the wifi based system we had on our last trailer (also used by current Momentums--my sympathies). If it keeps working as well as it has so far, I may not install the new parts I have on order. I don't use any of the other functions on the compass connect. The only other issue I have is that I want to install dimmers on a few of the lighting circuits it controls, but that issue is for another long, sad thread.
                          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

howson I vote for the One Control to have it's own page.....
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

DarnDave Hi Dave not looking to leave you in the dust, I'm hoping to bring you along for the ride along with anyone else that understands our systems. I was thinking about what you explained Howard (Howson) about the Canbus connections having to continue the loop to the end of the circuit. It would be trial and error but I am wondering about if I were to leave the existing level controller that has the slide output plugged into it and Canbus connections hooked up to continue the loop and install the other style controller in along with it to hook up the leveling system the way we want the setup. DarnDave as far as resources for the Lippert parts the only two places that I know of is either the Lippert store or Amazon which the one time I was ordering that controller for my other trailer Lippert told me I could get it cheaper through Amazon. The one thing that bothers me about the upgrades Lippert and Grand Design make on these systems is that it seams they install the new and improved (Supposedly) before they have the info out to the owners. If it wasn't for the forums alot of people would be in the dark. An example is my existing leveling controller is called One Control Level Up Advantage Leveling Controller with Slide output. You look up the part on Lippert they don't even have a picture of it yet. I still haven't contacted Lippert or Grand Design yet about this but I have a feeling they're going to tell me to go pound sand up my you know what.

Comment

gregz , well that's reassuring. To quote George Jones in a song lyric, "it might take a little longer but I'll get there" lol. So I went out and looked at the existing controller. howson's idea of possibly plugging in the old style exterior controller might have merit, but you would still be going through the rest of the one control system that way. What I noticed is that there are two 9 pin connectors on the existing controller. If you look at the 241129 controller, there is only one place for that connector. Am guessing the other 9 pin is for the two living room slides. It appears they combined two controllers into one unit. What I thought of was to leave existing in place, remove the connectors for the level up and plug into the new 241129 unit. One connector is the 9 pin, one is for the exterior control panel, one is for the rear level sensor and the six pin comes out of the 9 pin's harness, which goes to the hydraulic pump unit. None of this *should* affect the canbus. I got a notification from my Uncle in Indiana to be on the lookout for my parts shipment. I likely won't be able to mess with it for a few weeks though; we are taking the trailer up north for a week or so for a work event. I agree with what you said about the new components. I spent an hour or so on LCI's website looking for this new controller with negative results. Don't like being a guinea pig, especially since when we placed our order, they weren't doing the CC yet (and we were so happy about that); it happened while our unit was in production queue. Our VIN ends with 3558; what is yours?

Comment

Working...
                                X