No announcement yet.

Refrigerator Cooling Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 2022 17MKE with Dometic Refirgerator. Ours started out taking around 6 hrs to cool below 40 degrees F. Then I noticed when the sun shinning on the area where the refrigerator is located it would not cool below 40 degrees. I found there is a thermal sensor switch attached to the upper condensor cooling fins that when it gets hot it closes the contacts to let the cooling fan run. My switch was defective because it was not closing until it reached around 190 degrees F. This was far too hot for the refrigerator to work well and not able to cool below 40 F. My dealer didnt have a replacement thermal switch and even now after weeks they still dont have one but it appears the switch is suppose to close at 55 celsius (131F). I ended up removing the single noisy fan and installed two Arctic 1800 rpm quite fans. The holes were already there for the second fan. Instead of the factory thermal switch that was defective, I added a programable digital controller and set it to start the fans at 50 celsius (122F) and shut off at 42 celcius (107F). Now I can get to below 40F in under 4 hrs on setting 4 on the refrigerator and it maintains between 32 and 38F. Before I made these changes the refrigerator did well at night but not when it was sunny out. Amazon has the digital controllers in a plactic case two for $9.99. I mounted mine in the lower cabinet and bought a 2M long sensor to attach to the upper condensor fin. This does require above average technical experience to do but made a world of an improvement. Before I made these changes, I temporarily put a switch at the two wires originally on the defective thermal switch so I could force the cooling fan to run during the sunny day. It cooled well then but I didnt want to have to manually turn the fan on and off.

If you can add more cooling fans, Id at least do that and if you have a infrared thermometer, take temperature reading of your thermal switch mounted on the upper cooling fin. If it reaches 140F and the fan or fans are not running your refrigerator wont work well from what I found on mine. The better you can get the heat removed in the back the colder the refrigerator will operate.
    Last edited by JimW; 09-19-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X