LycoGear's (Unpowered) Holder for a Phone or GPS -- A Mini-Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LycoGear's (Unpowered) Holder for a Phone or GPS -- A Mini-Review

This is a mini-review of the LycoGear Heavy Duty Smartphone Tablet GPS AMPS Drill Base Dash ELD Mount and where I use it. I bought it from Amazon but I'm sure they are available from multiple retailers. The holder on Amazon is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVNPNTV

First, a few alternatives I tried or considered as shown below (and I'll explain after the picture): RAM Mount's X-Grip; RAM Mount's powered Quick-Grip; and RAM Mount's Quick-Grip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alternatives.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	74392
    I've been looking for a holder that was easy to use, securely holds a phone, and didn't inadvertently activate the buttons on the side of the phone. The last criteria was from experience with RAM Mount's X-Grip (I own one). While the X-Grip securely held the phone (and Garmin RV770 GPS as I'll show later), it wasn't easy to slip a device into the grip and the method of gripping activated phone buttons if it wasn't perfectly positioned.

RAM's powered Quick-Grip is fantastic, but expensive at over $100. I use these in my vehicles and also my Goldwing motorcycle. But, again, they are expensive and I didn't need the power option.

RAM's Quick-Grip (unpowered, far right in pic above) was interesting but I didn't like the "fingers" on the sides. That may interfere with button pushing on the phone or inadvertently activate a button. Full disclosure: I didn't try it.

The Lyco looked like the answer so I ordered one. It's worked perfectly, so I now have three (and so I thought someone else here may be interested).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lyco1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	196.8 KB ID:	74393
    I use the Lyco holder with a Garmin RV770 (it barely holds it but it does hold). The RAM B-Ball sized mount connects to a rail secured in the well in the center of my Ford's dash. The RAM rail is secured with 3M VHB tape. (I've used the rail and X-Grip with the GPS for thousands of miles--works great.) Below is a comparison of the X-Grip and Lyco with the Garmin in the Ford.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grip vs Lyco.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	74394

Finally, the Lyco as installed on our bikes. Again, the DW and I find it holds our Samsung S10+ phones with no problem. (Small caveat: we are smooth road bike riders--mountain trails with jumps are not our thing!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	bike phone.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	74395

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus
Working...
X